Calculating the Transition from Radiation to Matter Dominated Universe

• Thread starter b_o3
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Redshift
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving determining the redshift at which the universe transitioned from radiation domination to matter domination, as well as the temperature of the universe at that time. The conversation mentions using the first Friedmann equation and the value of Ho to determine the current energy density of radiation and matter, as well as their scaling with the expansion of the universe. The final solution involves equating the scaling factors for radiation and matter to find the scale factor at which they are equal.
b_o3
Hi, I really need help with this question I've tried everything!

let's assume a critical/flat universe. Ho=70 km/s/Mpc. I computed Boltzman law for energy (volume) density by integrating Planck's law p rad= alpha*T^4. alpha= 7.56*10^-15 ergs/cm^3/K^4 (Which I computed to be 7.56*10^-16 Joules/m^3/K^4)

I don't know where to begin with this question.. there's no other values provided . I'm supposed to somehow find out the redshift at which the universe switched from being radiation dominated to matter dominated (point of time at which radiation density is equal to mass density). and the temperature of the universe at that time .

I tried making a formula by putting radiation density formula= matter density formula ,, but there's not enough values given to compute it.

thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You can ignore the current energy density of radiation compared with matter. Which means you can use the value of Ho to determine the matter energy density via the first Friedmann equation. Ignore the curvature term as well.

so do I have all the values i need?

You tell me. What is current mass and radiation density and how do they scale with the expansion?

sorry but I am not following

How would you use Ho to determine the current sum of radiation and mass density? Hint: I already told you.

okay so after i do that... hows that going to help

Then use the fact that radiation scales as 1/a(t)^4 and matter scales as 1/a(t)^3. If you know their current values you can find out the scale factor where they are equal.

cant i just equate 1/a(t)^4=1/a(t)^3 . then I would get the value of a(t) when they are equal

1. What is "redshift"?

Redshift is a phenomenon in which the light from an object appears to be shifted towards the red end of the electromagnetic spectrum. It is caused by the relative motion of the object away from the observer.

2. How is redshift measured?

Redshift is measured by comparing the observed wavelength of light from an object to the expected wavelength of that light. This can be done using spectroscopy or by analyzing the object's spectrum.

3. What can redshift tell us about an object?

Redshift can tell us about the velocity and distance of an object. Objects with a higher redshift have a greater velocity and are further away from us. It can also provide clues about the age and composition of the object.

4. What are the different types of redshift?

There are three types of redshift: cosmological redshift, gravitational redshift, and Doppler redshift. Cosmological redshift is caused by the expansion of the universe, gravitational redshift is caused by the distortion of space-time near massive objects, and Doppler redshift is caused by the relative motion between an object and an observer.

5. How is redshift related to the Big Bang theory?

Redshift is a key piece of evidence for the Big Bang theory. The redshift of distant galaxies is consistent with the expansion of the universe predicted by the theory. This supports the idea that the universe began with a rapid expansion known as the Big Bang.