Not clear about the change of basis in new space

In summary: This allows us to find the representation of x in basis (e') by pre-multiplying it by P(e)^-1.In summary, the conversation discusses the use of transformation matrices to represent linear operators with respect to different ordered bases. It is possible for a vector space to have an infinite number of bases, and when representing a linear transform with a matrix, it is only meaningful relative to some ordered basis. The confusion arises when trying to pre-multiply a vector in a space W, which has a smaller dimension than the vector space V, with a transformation matrix P. This is resolved by extending the dimension of the vector in W to match that of V, and then applying the transformation.
Sumanta
Actually after I wrote down the query on the invertible matrix which I posted a few days ago I happened to refer again to Kunze Huffman and found that this is a standard theorem regarding transformation of linear operator from one basis to another.

Then I realized that the point which was not clear was that if Tv is a vector in basis B then how could with respect to B' I could write P(Tv) where P is the matrix of transformation from B to B'. What is unclear is that when u are doing this u are actually trying to premultiply a vector which is already in the space W, but according to theorem 8 on pg 53 of the book it says that

Suppose I is an n x n invertible matrix over F. Let V be an n dimensional vector space over F and let B be an ordered basis of V . Then there exists unique ordered basis B' of V such that [alpha] in basis B= P[alpha ] in basis B'.

So how is it here the vector space in which the vector is going to reside and the basis are completely different. Am I missing something very obvious. My thinking is that probably even if the space W has smaller dimension than V it is extended by adding 0s to it to equate V and then trying to apply the above technique. Still I am highly confused of applying a matrix NxN which would transform V -> V on something in W.

Sorry but I do not know how to use the subscripts here for clarity but hopefully I have been able to make my doubt across.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sumanta said:
So how is it here the vector space in which the vector is going to reside and the basis are completely different.

It's possible for a vector space to have an infinite number of basis. For example, take the vector space [itex] \mathbb{R}^2[/itex]. Now [itex]B_1=\{ (0,1) , (1,0) \} [/itex] is a basis for the vector space. Notice that [itex]B_2=\{ (1,2) , (2,1) \} [/itex] is also a basis for the same vector space, and so on.

Then I realized that the point which was not clear was that if Tv is a vector in basis B then how could with respect to B' I could write P(Tv) where P is the matrix of transformation from B to B'.

When we represent a linear transform by a matrix, remember that it's only meaningful relative to some ordered basis. So, you can represent the same linear transform with respect to a different ordered basis.

Did that help in clarifying your doubt?

Last edited:
siddharth said:
It's possible for a vector space to have an infinite number of basis. For example, take the vector space [itex] \mathbb{R}^2[/itex]. Now [itex]B_1=\{ (0,1) , (1,0) \} [/itex] is a basis for the vector space. Notice that [itex]B_2=\{ (1,2) , (2,1) \} [/itex] is also a basis for the same vector space, and so on.

When we represent a linear transform by a matrix, remember that it's only meaningful relative to some ordered basis. So, you can represent the same linear transform with respect to a different ordered basis.

Did that help in clarifying your doubt?

The points which u mention is clear but what is unclear is the following What is unclear is that when u are doing this u are actually trying to premultiply a vector which is already in the space W. So does it mean if W ism dim space and P is n x n and m < n then when u multiply the P with Tv do u assume that the u extend the dimension of a vector in W to n by adding n -m 0 s to the end

Sumanta said:
Then I realized that the point which was not clear was that if Tv is a vector in basis B then how could with respect to B' I could write P(Tv) where P is the matrix of transformation from B to B'.

x(e') = P(e)^-1 x(e), where x(e) and x(e') are representations of a vector x in basis (e), (e'), respectively, and P(e)^-1 is the transformation matrix from (e) to (e').

1. What is the concept of change of basis in a new space?

Change of basis is a mathematical concept that refers to the transformation of coordinates from one basis to another in a vector space. It involves expressing the same vector in terms of different coordinate systems, which can be useful for solving problems in different contexts.

2. Why is change of basis important in science?

Change of basis is important in science because it allows us to analyze and interpret data in different coordinate systems, which can provide new insights and perspectives. It also enables us to simplify complex problems and make calculations more efficient.

3. How is change of basis related to linear transformations?

Change of basis is closely related to linear transformations because it involves representing the same vector in terms of different bases, which can be thought of as different coordinate systems. Linear transformations involve mapping vectors from one vector space to another, which can also be thought of as a change of basis.

4. What are the applications of change of basis in science?

Change of basis has many applications in science, including physics, engineering, and computer science. It is used to solve problems involving vectors, matrices, and systems of linear equations. It is also essential in fields such as quantum mechanics, signal processing, and data analysis.

5. How can I understand change of basis better?

To better understand change of basis, it is important to have a solid understanding of linear algebra and vector spaces. It can also be helpful to practice solving problems and working with different coordinate systems. There are also many online resources and textbooks available that provide explanations and examples of change of basis in various contexts.