Live on campus or rent an apartment?

• Thread starter waht
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the housing options for a transfer student who is over the age of 21. The two options are to live on campus in a small room with a roommate, or to live off campus in a private apartment for a slightly higher cost. The participants in the conversation share their personal experiences and opinions on the benefits and drawbacks of each option. There is also a mention of certain universities in the U.S. that have a requirement for students under 21 to live on campus.
waht
My cousin got to an ok university as a transfer student, and will be going to as a third year junior. He's over 21 so doesn't have to live on campus, so the question is which choice is better to stay on campus or be more independent and live in an apartment.

Price wise it's about the same, for campus you get a small room and a roomate, for a couple hundred bucks more you get a nice apartment all to yourself.

Physics news on Phys.org
it depends what he's looking for, if he's already a thrid year junior most everyone is going to already have friends and he'll have to just try harder to make and meet people.

I live off campus and love it, but when I was a freshman it was nice to room with someone because it was easy to make new friends that way.

Under 21's can't live off campus?

Hi, waht,

I'm curious about something you said:

waht said:
He's over 21 so doesn't have to live on campus

Do I understand you to say the this uni requires students under 21 to live in a dorm? I've never heard of any requirement like that before (except at military academies). Is this university in the U.S. or somewhere else?

I lived on campus my freshman year and right now I live off campus. I'd rather live on campus. Living off campus here is about half the price of living on campus.

Thanks for the feedback, the univ doesn't require to live on campus if you are over 21, my apologies if I wasn't clear. We are just weighing the option. My cousin went to a community college before so he still lives at home. He's been working on and off, undecided what to do, so we have been pushing him get a degree. He doesn't know what housing options to take now that he is admitted, he has to move 100 miles from home sweet home.

So thanks, again, just like to hear more of the pros and cons.

If you rely heavily on financial aid, then it'd probably be better to live on campus. I don't believe financial aid will help with housing if you live off campus.

If you are moving to a place where you don't know anyone at all and a new city, I say move into a dorm. It is the easiest and fastest way to to make new friends and get use to the new area. No one from my high school went to my uni, so I knew no one. After my freshman year, I met a lot of peope who become my best friends while at college.

Also as a side note, some uni have dorm rooms made up upper division/ older first time college students, so might want to check that out.

Chris Hillman said:
Hi, waht,

I'm curious about something you said:

Do I understand you to say the this uni requires students under 21 to live in a dorm? I've never heard of any requirement like that before (except at military academies). Is this university in the U.S. or somewhere else?

yeah, chris there are some universities in U.S.A(although i am not an american, i am an international, but has come across some of this kind of un in usa) that require u to live in campus unless you are 21, or has at least completed 60 credit hours.

1. Should I live on campus or rent an apartment?

This is a common question for many students who are deciding on their living arrangements. The answer depends on your personal preferences and priorities.

2. Is it cheaper to live on campus or rent an apartment?

In most cases, living on campus can be more expensive than renting an apartment off-campus. However, this can vary depending on the location and amenities offered.

3. What are the benefits of living on campus?

Living on campus can offer convenience and a sense of community as you are in close proximity to classes, campus resources, and other students. It may also include meal plans and organized events.

4. What are the benefits of renting an apartment?

Renting an apartment can offer more independence and freedom, as well as potentially being more affordable. It also allows you to choose your own living space and location.

5. How can I make the decision between living on campus or renting an apartment?

Consider your priorities, budget, and lifestyle when making this decision. You may also want to visit the campus and explore the surrounding area to get a better idea of the options available.