Linear Algebra - System of 2 Equations with 3 Variables-possible?

In summary, the system of equations provided has a free variable and therefore has infinitely many solutions. However, there is a possibility that the system may have no solutions as well.
chrisdapos
Linear Algebra - System of 2 Equations with 3 Variables--possible?

Homework Statement

Solve: x1-3x2+4x3=-4
3x1-7x2+7x3=-8
-4x1+6x2-x3=7

The Attempt at a Solution

I was able to make it to:
1 -3 4 -4
0 -10 25 -11
0 0 0 0
So the third row goes away, and I am left with:
1 -3 4 -4
0 -10 25 -11
I am pretty sure that cannot be solved, or am I overlooking something? Thank you in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like you have a free variable. So you can solve for the other two in terms of it.

chrisdapos said:
I am pretty sure that cannot be solved, or am I overlooking something? Thank you in advance!

The solution isn't unique, you can try plugging in a value for [itex]x_1[/itex] and solving the rest.
[tex]x_1=1,2,3,4,5,6...\pi, e,...[/tex]

whenever you have more unknowns than equations, you get infinitely many solutions and one or more variables become free varaibles

proton said:
whenever you have more unknowns than equations, you get infinitely many solutions and one or more variables become free varaibles

Sometimes there can still be zero solutions:
[tex]x+y+z=0[/tex]
[tex]x+y+z=1[/tex]

1. What is a system of 2 equations with 3 variables?

A system of 2 equations with 3 variables is a set of two equations that involve three unknown quantities. These types of systems can be solved using various methods, such as substitution or elimination, to find the values of the unknown variables.

2. How many solutions can a system of 2 equations with 3 variables have?

A system of 2 equations with 3 variables can have 0, 1, or infinitely many solutions. The number of solutions depends on the consistency and independence of the equations.

3. Can a system of 2 equations with 3 variables have no solution?

Yes, a system of 2 equations with 3 variables can have no solution. This happens when the equations are inconsistent, meaning they do not have a common solution.

4. How can I determine if a system of 2 equations with 3 variables has infinite solutions?

If the two equations in the system are consistent and dependent, meaning they are essentially the same equation, then the system will have infinitely many solutions. This can be determined by graphing the equations or by looking at the coefficients in the equations.

5. Are there any real life applications of a system of 2 equations with 3 variables?

Yes, there are many real life applications of a system of 2 equations with 3 variables. It can be used to solve problems involving multiple unknown quantities, such as in economics, engineering, and physics. For example, it can be used to determine the optimal amount of resources to produce a certain number of products, or to calculate the trajectory of a projectile.