Is UC Berkeley's EE Grad School a Good Fit for Microwave Engineering?

In summary: For example, at MIT they were among the first to demonstrate sub-diffraction-limited optical imaging.
Swapnil
UC Berkeley EE Grad School!?

I was going to apply to UC Berkeley's graduate school of electrical enginering, but when I went on their website and looked up the type of research they are doing over there, I was surprised to find out that they are barely doing any RF/microwave or optics research. Here are list of general research they are doing over there:

Artificial Intelligence (AI)
Biosystems (BIO)
Communications & Networking (COMNET)
Computer Architecture & Engineering (ARC)
Control, Intelligent Systems, and Robotics (CIR)
Database Management Systems (DBMS)
Design of Electronic Systems (DES)
Education (EDUC)
Energy (ENE)
Graphics and Human-Computer Interaction (GHCI)
Integrated Circuits (INC)
Operating Systems & Networking (OSNT)
Physical Electronics (PHY)
Programming Systems (PS)
Scientific Computing (SCI)
Security (SEC)
Signal Processing (SP)
Theory (THY)

See what I mean! There is not even a slight mention of microwave/millimeter wave research! You don't see any optics research either!

Is it worth applying to Berkeley if my real interest in microwave engineering??

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, I know nothing about EE, but you should note that not every faculty can research into every specific sub-field in a subject! If you don't see the field on the website, and do not see any professors listing it in their research interests, then its probably safe to say that you will be better off elsewhere.

There is definitely interesting optics research going on at Berkeley, even if it's not well publicized on their website. For example, they were among the first to demonstrate sub-diffraction-limited optical imaging. (N. Fang, H. Lee, C. Sun, and X. Zhang, “Sub-diffraction-limited optical imaging with a silver superlens,” Science, vol. 308, no. 5721, pp. 534–537, April 2005. http://dx.doi.org/10.1126/science.1108759)

So any final thoughts? Microwave Engineering Research at Berkeley: Thumbs Up of Thumbs Down?

I personally am not that familiar with microwave engineering, but the places that come to my mind for microwave engineering are MIT, University of Michigan-Ann Arbor, and University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. (Disclaimer: I am a PhD candidate in electrical engineering at the University of Michigan-Ann Arbor.)

Swapnil said:
So any final thoughts? Microwave Engineering Research at Berkeley: Thumbs Up of Thumbs Down?

do you guys work on making microwaved food taste better?

las3rjock said:
I personally am not that familiar with microwave engineering, but the places that come to my mind for microwave engineering are MIT, University of Michigan-Ann Arbor, and University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. (Disclaimer: I am a PhD candidate in electrical engineering at the University of Michigan-Ann Arbor.)

Thanks las3rjock. I checked out those universities and it seems that there is some good Rf/microwave engineering going on over there.

1. What are the admission requirements for UC Berkeley EE grad school?

To apply for UC Berkeley's EE grad school, applicants must have a Bachelor's degree in a relevant field, such as electrical engineering, computer science, or physics. They must also have a strong academic record, with a minimum GPA of 3.0. Additionally, applicants must submit GRE scores, letters of recommendation, and a personal statement.

2. Are there any specific research areas or concentrations within the EE grad program?

Yes, UC Berkeley's EE grad program offers a wide range of research areas, including circuits and devices, communications and networking, control and robotics, energy and power systems, and signal processing and machine learning. Students can choose to specialize in one of these areas or pursue a more general EE degree.

3. How long does it typically take to complete the EE grad program at UC Berkeley?

The EE grad program at UC Berkeley takes approximately 2 years to complete for students entering with a Bachelor's degree. However, the program can be completed in 1 year for students with a Master's degree in a related field.

4. What are the career prospects for graduates of UC Berkeley's EE grad program?

Graduates of UC Berkeley's EE grad program have a wide range of career opportunities in industries such as technology, telecommunications, energy, and consulting. Many also go on to pursue further education or research positions in academia.

5. Can international students apply to UC Berkeley's EE grad program?

Yes, international students are welcome to apply to UC Berkeley's EE grad program. They must meet the same admission requirements as domestic students and may also need to provide proof of English proficiency through exams such as TOEFL or IELTS.