A ball is thrown above th house

• Thread starter AvrGang
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ball
In summary: V=m/t. So, if we know the velocity (m), we can calculate the time (t) by using the equation t=m/v. If you're still having trouble, you could try looking up the velocity equation on a physics website.
AvrGang

Homework Statement

Here is a question that I spent 1 hour trying to find a solution but I din't come up with any solution, so please give me any hint you know to solve this problem.

The question is:
You're 6.0 m from one wall of a house. You want to toss a ball to your friend who is 6.0 m from the opposite wall. The throw and catch each occur 1.0 m above the ground.

A.What minimum speed will allow the ball to clear the roof?
B.At what angle should you toss the ball?

Help me with the first part only, I can find the second part by myself.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the hight from where the ball is caught(1.0m above the ground) to the highest point of the roof where the ball clear the roof. The hight is 3 m
but Ididn't find an equation to find the velocity.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm online for any discussion

attempt attempt? show your so called stupid attempt, nobody is going to laugh at you, but we'd respect you for showing your work :)

i'm working on it right now, but someone who is better at physics might help you if you show some work

ok here is my attempt:

I found the hight from where the ball is caught(1.0m above the ground) to the highest point of the roof where the ball clear the roof. The hight is 3 m
but Ididn't find an equation to find the velocity.

Show us the equation(s) you used to find the height.

i found it using the graph in my book

I'll try to post the graph

AvrGang said:
i found it using the graph in my book. I'll try to post the graph

No need. Isn't the idea to use appropriate equations of motion (in this case for a projectile) to solve the problem? Or, are you suppose to just analyze the graph, which I presume is a graph of distance vs time? Remember the definition of velocity?

Last edited:

1. What factors affect the distance a ball travels when thrown above a house?

The distance a ball travels when thrown above a house can be affected by several factors, such as the initial velocity of the ball, the angle at which it is thrown, air resistance, and the height of the house. These factors can all impact the trajectory and distance the ball will travel.

2. How does the weight of the ball affect its trajectory when thrown above a house?

The weight of the ball can play a role in its trajectory when thrown above a house. A heavier ball will have more momentum and may travel further, while a lighter ball may have a shorter distance but may be easier to control.

3. Is the height of the house a significant factor in how far a ball will travel when thrown above it?

The height of the house can definitely have an impact on how far a ball will travel when thrown above it. A higher house will require the ball to be thrown at a higher angle to clear it, which can affect its distance. Additionally, a higher house may also create more air resistance for the ball.

4. How does air resistance affect the trajectory of a ball thrown above a house?

Air resistance can have a significant impact on the trajectory of a ball thrown above a house. As the ball travels through the air, it will experience resistance which can slow it down and change its path. This can cause the ball to fall short or veer off course.

5. Can the shape of the ball affect its distance when thrown above a house?

The shape of the ball can certainly affect its distance when thrown above a house. A more aerodynamic shape, such as a baseball or football, will experience less air resistance and may travel further than a less streamlined shape. Additionally, the shape can also impact the spin and stability of the ball, which can affect its trajectory.