Notation issue with the integration of exponents.

In summary, the conversation discusses integration of exp(\iota\omega-\alpha)t from 0 to infinity, with the speaker having trouble with the limits. They mention two ways of writing the exponent, with one giving a finite answer and the other giving an infinite answer. They request an explanation for the discrepancy.
Fallen Seraph
I'll not go into the details of the full question, because they are irrelevant to my problem.
Basically I have to integrate
[tex]\int_{0}^{\infty} exp (\iota\omega-\alpha)t dt[/tex]

Which is a nice and easy integration, but it's putting in the limits that bothers me.

I simply wrote the exponent as [tex]((\iota \omega - \alpha)t)[/tex] because I didn't feel like writing an extra minus sign. I see no reason why I could not have written it

[tex](-( \alpha -\iota \omega )t)[/tex]

Which gives a finite answer when putting in the limits, whereas the first way of writing it gives an infinite answer. Could someone explain why one of these notations are incorrect?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Integral[0, inf] exp(at)dt converges, i.e., has a finite value only when a<0.

I understand your concern about notation and its potential impact on the accuracy of calculations. In this case, both notations are mathematically correct and should yield the same result. The only difference is the placement of the minus sign in the exponent, which does not affect the value of the integral.

However, it is important to maintain consistency in notation to avoid confusion and potential errors in calculations. In general, it is recommended to follow established conventions and use parentheses to clearly indicate the order of operations in mathematical expressions. This can help prevent confusion and ensure accurate results.

In this specific case, it is possible that the infinite answer obtained with the first notation may be due to a mistake in the integration process rather than the notation itself. I would suggest double-checking your calculations to ensure accuracy.

Overall, as long as the mathematical operations are correctly performed, the specific notation used should not affect the outcome of the integration.

1. Why is it important to use proper notation when integrating exponents?

Proper notation helps to avoid confusion and ensures that the correct mathematical operations are being performed. It also allows for easier communication and understanding among other scientists and mathematicians.

2. What is the correct notation for integrating exponents?

The correct notation for integrating exponents is to use the caret symbol (^) to represent the exponent, followed by the variable of integration and the integration sign (dx).

3. Can exponents be integrated using other notation?

Yes, exponents can also be integrated using the "power rule" which involves raising the variable by one and dividing by the new exponent.

4. Are there any common mistakes or errors associated with integrating exponents?

Yes, common mistakes include not properly indicating the variable of integration, forgetting to apply the power rule, or using incorrect notation such as using a double caret (^^) instead of a single caret (^).

5. How can I avoid making mistakes when integrating exponents?

To avoid mistakes when integrating exponents, it is important to carefully follow the proper notation, double check your work, and practice regularly to improve your skills. It can also be helpful to seek guidance from a mentor or consult reliable resources for assistance.