Doubts on Bonding in P-Type Semiconductor

In summary: Thank you for your question. In summary, the dopant atoms in a P type semiconductor take the place of the silicon atoms in the crystal lattice, and the energy levels of the electrons in the dopant atoms and the valence bonding site are usually just above the top of the valence band. This suggests that those impurities that work well satisfy these conditions.
i.mehrzad
There is a doubt i have with the bonding in a P type semiconductor.

It is said that for an atom to be stable there are needed 8e's in its valence shell.
In the case of a P type semiconductor there are 7.
What is the cause behind the trivalent atom forming bonds with the neighbouring silicon atoms, eventhough they don't have a stable calence electronic configuration.

Engineering news on Phys.org
For each impurity atom added, one valence electron disapear. ie one hole is created. That's what makes it a p type material.

I get that point.
A Si atom has 4 electrons and a trivalent atom has 3 electrons in its valence shell.

Why will a Si atom want to bond to a trivalent atom when it knows that it will not attain stable electronic configuration.

That is there should be no bond formed in the first place.

Thanking you,
Mehrzad

Just like in n type materials, the dopant (added impurities) atoms take the place of the silicon atoms in the crystal lattice.
Take a look at this wikipedia page on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Band_gap" . As you can see, the band gap energy for semiconductors is low.

Last edited by a moderator:
i.mehrzad said:
I get that point.
A Si atom has 4 electrons and a trivalent atom has 3 electrons in its valence shell.

Why will a Si atom want to bond to a trivalent atom when it knows that it will not attain stable electronic configuration.

That is there should be no bond formed in the first place.

Thanking you,
Mehrzad

Atoms are not sentient or even alive, but I understand what you are getting at. All I know about it is that if you look at an 'energy level diagram' for a doped semiconductor, the energy level of the electrons in a donor impurity atom is usually immediately below the bottom of the conduction band...although its exact level varies from element to element. That makes it easier for an electron from that donor atom to break free and enter the conduction band.

Similarly, the energy level of the valence bonding site in an impurity atom is usually just above the top of the valence band, although its exact level varies from element to element.

This suggests that those impurities that work well satisfy these conditions.

Last edited:
i.mehrzad said:

To answer your question more directly, sure, the Si atom will not achieve a stable electronic configuration, but the trivalent atom will (albieit as an ion). So the question is, who wins (or, who gets what they want)?

If we're going to talk about covalent bonding in a qualitative, nebulous sort of way, then we can't really answer these questions. I mean, it makes you wonder, right, WHY 4 electrons in that shell constitute a stable electron configuration in the first place (and to answer that, we must appeal to quantum mechanics). So if we're not going to do that, then, for the time being, we must be satisfied that the answer to most questions like this is "because that's what they do. That's what happens."

1. What is a P-type semiconductor?

A P-type semiconductor is a type of semiconductor material that has been doped with impurities to create a positive charge carrier, known as a "hole". This means that the majority charge carriers in a P-type semiconductor are positively charged, allowing for the flow of current.

2. How is a P-type semiconductor different from an N-type semiconductor?

A P-type semiconductor differs from an N-type semiconductor in the type of impurities used for doping. P-type semiconductors use impurities with fewer valence electrons than the base material, creating positively charged holes. N-type semiconductors, on the other hand, use impurities with more valence electrons, creating negatively charged electrons as the majority charge carriers.

3. How does the bonding in a P-type semiconductor differ from that in a typical covalent bond?

In a P-type semiconductor, the bonding is known as "covalent ionic bonding". This means that the atoms share electrons in a covalent bond, but due to the different number of valence electrons between the doped impurities and the base material, there is an overall imbalance of charge, creating a slightly ionic bond.

4. What is the significance of P-type semiconductors in electronic devices?

P-type semiconductors are an essential component in electronic devices, as they are used to create p-n junctions with N-type semiconductors. These p-n junctions allow for the control of current flow, making it possible to create diodes, transistors, and other electronic components.

5. How does temperature affect the bonding in P-type semiconductors?

Temperature can affect the bonding in P-type semiconductors by increasing the thermal energy of the atoms. This can cause the atoms to vibrate more, making it easier for electrons to break free from their bonds and become mobile charge carriers. As temperature increases, the conductivity of P-type semiconductors also increases.