Open source or free alternatives to MathCad

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for a free or low-cost alternative to expensive programs like MathCad for solving differential equations and performing integration. The suggestion is made to use Octave, a GNU version of Matlab, and a user recommends using XOctave as a GUI for Octave on a Windows system. Another user suggests using gnu maxima for symbolic integration and mentions the front-end jasonwxmaxima. It is noted that sage integrates easily with latex, but has weaker 3D graphing capabilities. Overall, Octave and gnu maxima are recommended as suitable alternatives to MathCad for numeric and symbolic work.
nanoWatt
I am just using MathCad as an example, as I don't know others. In college I did use something that did good 3D plots, and solved differential equations and performed integration.

I was wondering if there were free or low-cost alternatives to these expensive programs. I just need something that can give me a solution to check my work against.

I tend to have a problem of knowing when to stop deriving. I'll work on a problem, and wonder if I really have the solution.

Since I don't have $100's to purchase something that probably does way more than I need, I'm wondering what other software will be suitable.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
There's a GNU "version" of Matlab called Octave that is used in universities. Most of the commands and syntax are the same.

Thanks. Can you also recommend a good GUI for Octave? I'm on a Windows system. I have Windows XP x64 and Windows Vista, on two separate systems.

But I'll probably use my Windows x64 desktop because it's more powerful.

XOctave
Its just a front end, GNU Octave must be installed. It is available for Windows and it is pretty slick.

I just looked at the MathCad web page - it was clearly designed by business/marketing types so I do not know all the capabilities of mathcad.

for the numeric stuff, Octave mentioned above is great. Doesn't have beautiful plots but they are functional ...

If you do symbolic integration or other symbolic work, I would recommend gnu maxima. It also does arbitrary precision arithmetic if you are ever interested.

jason

wxmaxima provides a very nice front-end to maxima.
note that sage will integrate with latex very easily (3d graphing is a bit weak, however)

1. What is MathCad and why would I need an alternative?

MathCad is a computer software program designed for performing mathematical calculations and creating technical documentation. Some individuals may seek alternatives to MathCad due to its high cost or because they prefer open source software.

2. What are the benefits of using open source or free alternatives to MathCad?

Open source or free alternatives to MathCad provide users with the ability to access and modify the source code, making it more customizable for individual needs. Additionally, these alternatives are often more cost-effective and can be used on a wider range of operating systems.

3. Are there any limitations to using open source or free alternatives to MathCad?

While open source or free alternatives to MathCad offer many benefits, they may not have all the same features and capabilities as the original software. It is important to carefully research and compare alternatives to determine if they meet your specific needs.

4. What are some popular open source or free alternatives to MathCad?

Some popular open source or free alternatives to MathCad include Octave, SageMath, and Maxima. These programs offer similar features and capabilities to MathCad, but with the added advantage of being free and open source.

5. Are there any resources available for learning how to use open source or free alternatives to MathCad?

Yes, there are many online tutorials, forums, and documentation available for learning how to use open source or free alternatives to MathCad. Additionally, many universities and educational institutions offer courses on how to use these programs for mathematical and technical applications.