What is the Optimal Distance for a Frictionless Track to Minimize Time?

In summary, for a frictionless track with L=4.60m and H=4.80m, the distance D should be set in order to minimize the time for the cart to slide from the top to the end of the track. Using conservation laws and kinematics, the equation .5mv1^2 + mgy1 = .5mv2^2 can be simplified to .5m(d/t)^2 + mgy1 = .5m(d/t)^2, where v(av)=d/t and the velocity is constant over the flat L-D stretch of the ramp. The time for the cart to slide down the ramp can be found by computing the acceleration down the incline and using the displacement (H^
NAkid

Homework Statement

A frictionless track is to be built as shown, with L=4.60m and H=4.80m. In order to get the cart to slide from the top to the end of the track in the minimum time, how long should the distance D be? Assume that the speed of the cart on the horizontal surface is the same as at the bottom of the ramp.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

No friction means energy is conserved.
Average velocity is distance divided by time.

using conservation laws, i get the following equation
.5mv1^2 + mgy1 = .5mv2^2 + mgy2

i set up my coordinates so that y1 is the top of the ramp, and y2 is the end, so y2=0 and we're left with .5mv1^2 + mgy1 = .5mv2^2.

the problem wants the D to minimize time, so somehow i need to express the above equation in terms of time, take a derivative, and solve setting=0.

i know v(av)=d/t, so can i substitute that expression into .5mv1^2 + mgy1 = .5mv2^2 and get .5m(d/t)^2 + mgy1 = .5m(d/t)^2 since the velocity is the same at the bottom and top of the ramp?

Attachments

• prob05_ramp2.gif
    prob05_ramp2.gif
    1.4 KB · Views: 427
Physics news on Phys.org
Energy can easily get you the velocity over the flat L-D stretch of the ramp. So that time is just L-D over that velocity. You want to add that to the ramp time. Here you'll just have to use kinematics. Figure out the component of acceleration down the ramp and use that to get the time to descend the ramp. Now add the two times and find a minimum by taking a derivative with respect to D.

I think I understand your logic but I still have a few questions--

Dick said:
Energy can easily get you the velocity over the flat L-D stretch of the ramp. So that time is just L-D over that velocity.

I'm assuming here I'll use work-energy theorem for straight-line motion?
.5mv1^2 - .5mv2^2

What do I do with mass? And how does time=(L-D)/v ?

It's moving at a CONSTANT velocity over the flat part of the track. time=distance/velocity.

ok that makes sense.

now for the time on the ramp. the distance is (H^2 + D^2)^.5. can this distance be thought of as the displacement?

It can not only be thought of as the displacement, it IS the displacement. This part of the problem is a simple inclined plane problem. It's not rocket science.

thanks...dick.

Touche. I can get abrupt and impatient this time of night when these things drag out, apologies. You can handle this. Compute the acceleration down the incline and use the displacement we both agree on, and find the time.

What are Newton's three laws of motion?

Newton's first law states that an object at rest will remain at rest, and an object in motion will remain in motion at a constant velocity, unless acted upon by an external force. Newton's second law states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. Newton's third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

How are Newton's laws applied in everyday life?

Newton's laws are applied in a variety of ways in everyday life. For example, the first law can be seen when a car comes to a stop after applying the brakes, or when a book stays on a table unless pushed off. The second law is demonstrated when a heavier object requires more force to move than a lighter object. The third law is evident when a swimmer pushes off the side of a pool to propel themselves forward.

What is the difference between mass and weight in terms of Newton's laws?

Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, while weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object. In terms of Newton's laws, mass is used in the second law to determine the acceleration of an object, while weight is used in relation to the force of gravity in the first law.

How do Newton's laws relate to forces and motion?

Newtons's laws describe the relationship between forces and motion. The first law states that an object will stay in motion or at rest unless acted upon by an external force. The second law explains how the net force acting on an object affects its acceleration. And the third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction, which can result in changes in motion.

What are some real-world applications of Newton's laws?

Newton's laws have many real-world applications, including the design and operation of vehicles such as cars, planes, and rockets. They are also used in sports, such as in the trajectory of a football or the motion of a runner. Engineers also use Newton's laws to design structures that can withstand forces, such as bridges and buildings.