Free Body Diagram Homework: Forces to Consider

In summary, when drawing a freebody diagram for an elevator, it is important to consider all forces acting on it, including gravity and the force from the cables. The elevator may not always be accelerating, but if it is, the force from the cables (Ft) must be greater than the force of gravity (Fg) in order for it to accelerate.
dranseth

Homework Statement

When drawing a freebody diagram for just an elevator, not the people in it, what are all the forces that we have to consider? I just used Fg down and Ft up, but because it is accelerating up, I made Ft greater.

Physics news on Phys.org
Just because the elevator is moving up, doesn't mean it is always accelerating up. It may only accelerate when it first starts moving and right before it stops at your floor. Otherwise, it may be moving with uniform velocity upwards.

Well, in the question it stated that it was accelerating... So was I right to have only the two forces Ft and Fg with Ft bigger?

dranseth said:
Well, in the question it stated that it was accelerating... So was I right to have only the two forces Ft and Fg with Ft bigger?
In that case, your diagram is correct to have Ft greater in magnitude than Fg, since Ft + Fg = Fnet = ma and a must be non-zero, and I'm assuming the elevator is accelerating in the direction of Ft. ;)

Last edited:

What is a free body diagram?

A free body diagram is a visual representation of all the forces acting on an object. It is used to analyze the motion and behavior of the object.

Why is it important to consider forces when doing homework?

Forces play a crucial role in determining the behavior of objects. By considering all the forces acting on an object, we can accurately predict its motion and understand the underlying principles of physics.

What are some common forces that are typically included in a free body diagram?

Some common forces that are included in a free body diagram are weight, normal force, tension, friction, and applied forces.

How do you draw a free body diagram?

To draw a free body diagram, you first need to identify all the forces acting on the object. Then, draw a dot to represent the object and draw arrows to represent the direction and magnitude of each force. Make sure to label each force appropriately.

What is the purpose of using a free body diagram in homework?

The purpose of using a free body diagram in homework is to help students visualize and understand the forces acting on an object. It also allows them to apply the principles of physics to solve problems and arrive at correct solutions.