Fourier transform of a function such that it gives a delta function.

In summary, the conversation discusses the Fourier transform of a function that results in a delta function. It is explained that if you Fourier transform a delta function, the resulting transform will be a constant in the k space. Similarly, if you want to find the function that gives a delta function when Fourier transformed, the inverse transform can be calculated. The conversation also mentions that this result is commonly used in quantum mechanics and optics.
bman!!
[SOLVED] Fourier transform of a function such that it gives a delta function.

ok say, if you Fourier transform a delta function G(x- a), the transform will give you something like

∫[-∞ ∞]G(x-a) e^ikx dx

a is a constant

to calculate, which gives you

e^ka (transformed into k space) due to the sifting propety of dirac deltas.

however, you equally turn it around and askfor what function if Fourier transformed gives the dirac delta, you simply compute the inverse transform of G(K-k(0)) (delta function in k space) giving you an integral like:

∫[-∞ ∞] G(k - k(0)) e^-ikx dk which simply enough to compute gives you the answer which is e^-ik(0)x

(note k(0) is simlpy meant to me some constant in k space, i.e. k_0 i just can't get the hang of the ubscripts_

ok, this i understand. it does strike me as a bit hand waviness, so ill get to my point:

say i again use the Fourier procedure to to take the transform of e-ik(0)x which should give an integral looking liike

∫[-∞ ∞](e^-ik(0)x) (e^ikx) dx

now here's the thing. i want to remember this Fourier pair as its a useful result and crops up all the time in QM and optics and all sorts. but i don't see how evaluating this last integral gives a delta function.

cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
its ok, sorted. brain fart.

What is the Fourier transform of a function?

The Fourier transform of a function is a mathematical operation that decomposes the function into its constituent frequencies. It is a way of representing a function in terms of its frequency components.

What is a delta function?

A delta function, denoted by δ(x), is a special type of function that is zero at all points except at x=0, where it is infinite. It is often used in mathematics and physics to represent an impulse or point source.

How can a Fourier transform give a delta function?

If a function has a single frequency component with infinite amplitude, its Fourier transform will result in a delta function. This is because the Fourier transform of a pure frequency is a delta function at that frequency.

What is the significance of a delta function in Fourier transforms?

The delta function is a fundamental tool in Fourier analysis as it allows us to represent a function as a sum of pure frequencies. It is also useful in solving differential equations and understanding physical phenomena such as signal processing and quantum mechanics.

Can any function have a delta function in its Fourier transform?

No, not all functions have a delta function in their Fourier transform. Only functions with a single frequency component can have a delta function in their transform. Functions with multiple frequency components will have a more complex Fourier transform.