(-Planning Exercise - Strain gauge Coursework Help -)

In summary, Jack is lost and has been stuck on coursework for several days. He is looking for help and has asked on multiple occasions but has not received a response. He has failed to provide a full transcript of the question and is only providing a summary of the content.
little me said:
i think that some of u r making it more complicated than necessary. You don't need to worry about wheatstone bridges, a voltmeter and an ammeter will be fine and calculate the resistance from V=IR.

yeah but remember that you get awarded marks for things in your experiment that improve its accuracy and reliability

so a wheatstone bridge will give you a couple of marks id have thought

Physics news on Phys.org
yeah but then you can put the wheatstone bridge etc into the improvements section and get marks for it there.

But if the wheatstone bridge is too complicated for you tio make..one thing is to get it right then, a voltmeter and ammeter will do just nicely...
but u cud do the wheatstone bridge if u still have time..

taurinne said:
does any1 know how or where to connect the ohmeter and voltmeter on the strain gauge?

u don't need n ohmeter(whatever that is)
connect an ammeter in series and a voltmeter in parallel with the ciruit :approve:

little me said:
yeah but then you can put the wheatstone bridge etc into the improvements section and get marks for it there.

what improvements section?

are some of you actually doing this experiment? coz we don't hav to

i only hav to do the plan, with (a) to (g)

and then we have a different experiment tomorrow

n1ck_w87 said:
If you bend a strip of material, you are still applying a tensile force along its top edge. If you hang a material like in ibnwando's diagram, you will have to use a lot of force to be able to get an appreciable change in length, and therefore resistance. Bending will be much easier in a labotary situation.

I agree with you, Nick but u don't have to use a lot of force to get a change in length in my diagram, instead of adjusting the force, you could adjust the dimensions of the material,and it would stretch nicely. :uhh:

MightyMeanie said:
:frown: are you sure that will happen, as my physic's teacher hinted at using superglue :confused:, - if this is the case techniqually, would we loose marks in planning to use this as it is really just a theoretical experiment (as it were) as we arent really carrying it out... :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: oh well i will keep it as it is for now and ask my teacher tomorow

I don't think superglue will melt the strain gauge cos if u do a google search, most laboraotory experments use superglue ,even in biology,when testing animals cos its a lab experiment and its only a temporary adhesive that can serve the purpose without separating the 2 surfaces in contact.

I am submitting it tommorrow..im not scared of what I've done anyway..i know I've tried ma best...I finally saw the paper i wrote something about the strain gauge and here is the diagram of the stuff>>>>>>>>>>>
ope you will find it reasonable
Wish you all the best of luck! If you don't have any hint of what the chemistry practical is all abt...you can let me know

I am submitting it tommorrow..im not scared of what I've done anyway..i know I've tried ma best...I finally saw the paper i wrote something about the strain gauge ope you will find it reasonable
Wish you all the best of luck! If you don't have any hint of what the chemistry practical is all abt...you can let me know

what substance are you stretching?

You have to write about improvements you could make even though we aren't doing the experiment.

i used polyamide as has a low yong modulus value (2.4 GPa). Most people in my college have used aluminium as also has low young modulus.

hello everyone, I'd just like to ask, is there any way of adding an ammeter to the wheatstone bridge structure? I'm a lilttle stuck!

Nite nite guys. Good luck to everyone tomorrow. Thanks for all of your help! :smile:

Last edited:
Completed!

hey all,

handing mine in tomorrow. this site and specifically this thread has been pretty invaluable, so i figured i'd upload/attach my completed one. comments are appreciated, but i think it should be 100% now...

later,
macf13nd

PS: its in two parts cause the site doesn't let you upload .doc files that are > 50kb

Attachments

• Strain Gauge.doc
    48 KB · Views: 372
  • Part2.doc
    21 KB · Views: 317