How Much Force to Dent Steel and Crack Asphalt in a Sci-Fi World?

• Thread starter jasocintorino
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book
In summary, the conversation revolved around a girl who was a genetic experiment with cheetah DNA, resulting in her having cat-like abilities. The main topic was the amount of force needed to create a seven-inch dent in a solid military standard steel reinforced door, a hybrid car door, and standard asphalt. The expert summarizer suggests that the questions are not theoretical and would require detailed information and a hardness test to determine the exact amount of force needed.
jasocintorino
I'm looking or some Information - as this is a lesson in learning for me... I'll ask random questions that can hopefully be answered for a book I am starting, this will be my second book.

The girl is a Genetic Experiment whose blood was scientifically altered to include a cheetah's DNA strand - Mixing these together and using them on a young girl, the girl grew cat-like ears, and a tail just like a cat, this includes the speed, reflexes, and other such innate abilities that are inherent to the cheetah family - Though because she has a human body, she has x7 the attributes of a cheetah.

1. Detail; A Solid Military Standard Steel Reinforced Door that can stop explosions from Grenade Launchers - How much force, in theory, would it take to place a 4-inch deep, seven-inch foot-conformed dent into a door of such attributions?

2. A Hybrid, say at the meeting of the front and back door of the car - How much force would it take to place a seven-inch dent in it?

3. Standard 11 inch assfault of the road, to crack this, and make a shield-like imprint from landing harshly upon the pavement - How much force would this take?

I believe these questions are theoretical, and I hope they can be answered -

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
They aren't theoretical. You need to know the exact material composition of the doors. And if I remember my freshman material science course correctly, you need to perform a hardness test. This is far from theoretical. I don't know how military doors are made, but even if you can find detailed hardness values for each type of material used, that tells you nothing about the hardness of a composite material unless you also know the type of composite material you're dealing with and the exact values of each material composite. And I imagine that the amount of pressure you need to exert also depends on which part of the door you're applying the force on.

The best answer would be to perform a hardness test yourself on these items. I don't see any easy way out of this.

I'm not sure if this information would be helpful in my book, but it's something I am curious about and would like to include in my writing.

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your ideas for your book. It sounds like you have a unique and interesting concept with the girl being a genetic experiment with cheetah DNA. To answer your questions:

1. It is difficult to give an exact answer without knowing the specific dimensions and materials of the door, but in general, a standard military steel door can withstand a significant amount of force, including explosions from grenade launchers. It would likely take a considerable amount of force to create a 4-inch deep, seven-inch foot-conformed dent in the door, possibly in the tens of thousands of pounds of force.

2. Again, without knowing the specific materials and dimensions of the car door, it is hard to give an exact answer. However, a hybrid car door is typically made of lightweight materials such as aluminum, so it would likely take less force to create a seven-inch dent compared to a military steel door.

3. The amount of force needed to crack 11-inch asphalt would depend on the type and condition of the asphalt, as well as the weight and speed of the impact. However, it would likely take a significant amount of force to create a shield-like imprint on the pavement, possibly in the thousands of pounds.

I hope this information is helpful for your book. Keep in mind that these are theoretical answers and may not be completely accurate for your fictional world. It's always important to balance scientific accuracy with creative freedom in writing. Best of luck with your book!

What is info gathering for a book?

Info gathering for a book is the process of collecting and organizing information to be used in a book. This can include conducting research, interviewing experts or sources, and gathering data or statistics.

Why is info gathering important for writing a book?

Info gathering is crucial for writing a book because it provides the necessary facts and evidence to support your ideas and arguments. It also helps to ensure the accuracy and credibility of your book.

What are some methods of info gathering for a book?

Some methods of info gathering for a book include researching online or in libraries, conducting interviews with experts or individuals with relevant knowledge, and collecting data or statistics through surveys or experiments.

How do you determine which information to include in a book?

The information included in a book should be relevant, accurate, and support the overall theme or message of the book. It is important to critically evaluate your sources and only include information that is necessary and appropriate for your book.

How can you ensure the credibility of your gathered information?

To ensure credibility, it is important to use reputable sources and fact-check any information gathered. Additionally, including a bibliography or list of sources can help to demonstrate the credibility of your information to readers.

Back