Help A2 physics planning exercise

In summary, the filament lamp manufacturer is looking for a way to keep the surface temperature of the glass envelope of the lamp below a certain limit, while still delivering a power output that is not too small. They are looking for someone to design an experiment to help them understand how this is possible. The experiment should measure the surface temperature of the lamp while delivering different levels of electrical power to the lamp. The thermocouple should be shown in the diagram to help explain how it works. Additionally, the thermocouple should be explained in detail in the account.
little me
Help! A2 physics planning exercise!

Is anyone doing the A2 OCR physics planning exercise? I have just finished the AS one that soooooo many people have been talking about (I am resitting it from last year!) but now have the A2 one to do.

It is the one with the surface temperature of the glass envelope of a light bulb.

Does anyone know how to cool the bulb down between experiments?

Help would be much appreciated! :biggrin: before I start crying :cry: !

I am using thermocouples if anyone is stuck with the kind of thermometer to use!

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you write down a full description of the exercise, due to help you better?

Ok, ta!

A manufacturer of filament lamps for use as a night light in childrens bedrooms is concerned about the surface temperature of the glass envelope after the lamp has been left on for some time. The surface temp must not be too high, otherwise danger of burns or fire resulting from accidental contact with the surface of the lamp. However, it is important that the power output from the lamp should not be too small, otherwise lamp will be too dim to be useful.

Design a laboratory experiment to investigate how th esurface temperature of the glass envelope of a filament lamp varies with electrical power delivered to the lamp. Draw a diagram(s) showing how the equipment would be arranged. In your account, you should explain:

a) procedure to be followed

b)your choice of the type of thermometer used to measure the surface temperature of the lamp

c) how electrical power would be measureed

d) any relevant safety precautions you may take when carrying out the experiment

e) any particular features of your design that may improve the accuracy of your experiment

I'm doing the same one as you. You shouldn't (I don't think) have to cool the bulb down between experiments. If you start by using a low voltage (thus low power), the lamp won't heat up as much as when you use a higher voltage.

And i was wondering if you could help me! I can't find a site in easy English to tell me how a thermocouple works. I know you have to use a data logger on a PC to record the temps, and I was going to use a standard type K, using a self-adhesive band that goes round the bulb... but... I need to say how they work. And I have no idea!

And also, how do you show a thermocouple in the diagram?!

1. What is the purpose of the A2 physics planning exercise?

The A2 physics planning exercise is designed to help students develop their skills in planning and conducting experiments, analyzing data, and evaluating sources of error. It also serves as a preparation for the practical component of the A2 physics exam.

2. How do I choose a suitable topic for my A2 physics planning exercise?

When choosing a topic, it is important to consider the availability of resources, the feasibility of the experiment, and its relevance to the A2 physics curriculum. It is also recommended to consult with your teacher or a subject expert for guidance.

3. Do I have to follow a specific format for the A2 physics planning exercise?

There is no set format for the A2 physics planning exercise, but it should include a clear aim, a detailed method, and a thorough analysis of data and results. It should also discuss potential sources of error and suggest improvements for future experiments.

4. How much time should I dedicate to the A2 physics planning exercise?

The A2 physics planning exercise is typically completed over the course of several weeks, with regular meetings with your teacher for guidance and feedback. It is important to allocate enough time to properly plan, conduct, and analyze your experiment.

5. Can I work in a group for the A2 physics planning exercise?

The A2 physics planning exercise is usually an individual assignment, but some schools may allow students to work in pairs or small groups. It is important to check with your teacher for any specific guidelines or requirements for group work.