Exploring Carleton University: A Student's Perspective

• Schools
  • Thread starter Calcotron
  • Start date
  • Tags
    University
In summary, Carleton University is a good place to do undergraduate research and has a good atmosphere.
Calcotron
Anyone have any idea what Carleton University in Ottawa is like? I am really considering going there for University next year. Has anyone gone there/known someone who has?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I've taken a few classes there; what would you like to know? Are you looking at grad or undergrad?

They have very good people in particle physics and medical physics, and are rated first in Canada in impact factor. Fairly laid back department with good research opportunities for undergrads, and its physics department is associated with uOttawa's if you wish to do research in different fields.

Ask away whatever you wish to know.

Thanks for the response. I am talking about for undergrad and was really wondering about the overall atmosphere of the department. I was also looking for a pretty laid back environment so I would really enjoy that. How about the class sizes? I really do not want to end up being lost in a crowd.

Carleton is a smaller university, and although I haven't taken any undergrad courses there, most of your classes are going to have about 15 or so students (except first-year lecture halls, where you will be lose in a crowd). You'll definitely get to know the profs fairly well. The atmosphere is somewhat informal, in the sense that they're there to teach you physics and possibly help you get started with research, and there is very little administrative bs.

On the other hand, some courses are probably a bit weaker than at some other universities (i.e., compared to, say, toronto or bigger american schools), although a lot of students compensate for that by taking graduate courses in their final year.

So here's the million dollar question, would you recommend Carleton for someone who (currently) wants to go to graduate school?

Sure. Choice of school has practically nothing to do with entering grad school, provided you can learn material and get research experience (and really, all you need is a library, a phone and determination to get those).

Carleton is one of the best places to do undergrad research (at least, provided you like particle physics or medical physics); that'll look good on any grad school application.

If you don't live in Ottawa right now, I'm not sure if they'd be my first choice, but if you do, then yeah, you should definitely consider going there (or uOttawa, which is practically the same, only slightly larger / better courses / less well-known research - although you're allowed to take uOttawa courses while at carleton, and vice versa).

1. How does Carleton University compare to other universities?

Carleton University is known for its strong programs in engineering, business, and journalism. Its location in the capital city of Ottawa also offers unique opportunities for government and political science studies. Additionally, Carleton has a diverse and inclusive campus community, with various clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.

2. What is the student life like at Carleton University?

The student life at Carleton University is vibrant and active. There are over 250 clubs and societies for students to join, covering a wide range of interests and hobbies. The campus also hosts numerous events and activities throughout the year, such as concerts, festivals, and academic conferences.

3. What are the housing options for students at Carleton University?

Carleton University offers both on-campus and off-campus housing options for students. On-campus, there are traditional dorm-style residences, as well as suite-style and apartment-style residences. Off-campus, students can choose to live in nearby apartments or houses, or participate in homestay programs.

4. What resources and support services are available for students at Carleton University?

Carleton University has a wide range of resources and support services to help students succeed academically and personally. These include academic advising, career services, mental health counseling, disability services, and peer tutoring. There are also dedicated centers for international students, Indigenous students, and LGBTQ+ students.

5. What sets Carleton University apart from other universities?

Carleton University is known for its strong sense of community and its commitment to experiential learning. Most programs offer hands-on experiences, such as co-op placements, internships, and community-based projects. The campus is also conveniently located in Ottawa, providing students with access to government institutions, businesses, and cultural attractions.