Ehrenfest Urn Problem Kramers-Moyal Coefficients and Planck-Fokker Equation

This transformation is necessary to show that the Fokker-Plank equation is equivalent to the Kramers-Moyal expansion in the continuum limit.
wbrigg
"Ehrenfest Urn" Problem Kramers-Moyal Coefficients and Planck-Fokker Equation

(For some reason, i can't get latex to work, and the button that used to be in the text box to use it is gone. :-()

Homework Statement

In the "Ehrenfest Urn" Problem, a particle moves randomly in a grid of positions x=ma with m an integer in the range -L < m < L , and with time stamp (tau). The probability when at position m' of a step to the right m' -> m' + 1 is

P_ = 0.5 ( 1 + m / L)

and the probability of a step to the left m' -> m' - 1 is

P_ = 0.5 ( 1 - m / L)

Evaluate the first Four Kramers-Moyal Coefficients for this process. In the continuum limits

a -> 0 , (tau) -> 0 , L -> infinity ,

such that a^2 / (tau) -> 2D and La^2 -> 2 (sigma)^2

show that the Fokker-Plank equation describing the evoloution of the PDF P(x,t) is

(all ds are partial)

dP/dt = (D/(sigma)^2) dP/dx + D (d^2 P)/dx^2

Homework Equations

KM1 = -am/(tau L)
KM2 = a^2 / tau
KM3 = -(a^3) m /(tau L)
KM4 = a^4 / tau

KM3+ tend to zero. KM1 and KM2 are the contributing terms.

dP/dt = lim(tau -> 0) sum[ (from n=1 to infinity) ((-1)^n / n!) (d^n)/(dx^n) [KMn P(x,t)]

The Attempt at a Solution

all i need is a justification for (a m) / (tau L) -> -D/(2 sigma^2)if you want me to show my working for everything else, i will photgraph it and upload it to imageshack, but that's a lot of hassle for me, and this last step is the bit which is bothering me.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The justification for the transformation of (a m) / (tau L) -> -D/(2 sigma^2) is based on the fact that in the continuum limit, a^2 / (tau) -> 2D and La^2 -> 2 (sigma)^2. Substituting these values into (a m) / (tau L), we get (-D)/(2 sigma^2), as required.

1. What is the Ehrenfest Urn Problem?

The Ehrenfest Urn Problem is a mathematical model that was first proposed by Paul Ehrenfest in 1907. It involves balls being randomly distributed between two urns and the probability of each urn having a certain number of balls at any given time. This problem is often used to illustrate concepts in probability and statistical mechanics.

2. What are Kramers-Moyal Coefficients?

Kramers-Moyal Coefficients are a set of mathematical coefficients that describe the time evolution of a stochastic process. They are used in the study of random processes, such as the Ehrenfest Urn Problem, and are named after Hendrik Kramers and Joseph Moyal who first developed them in the 1940s.

3. How does the Planck-Fokker Equation relate to the Ehrenfest Urn Problem?

The Planck-Fokker Equation is a partial differential equation that describes the probability density function of a random process. It can be used to analyze the time evolution of the Ehrenfest Urn Problem and determine the probability of certain outcomes. This equation is a fundamental tool in the study of stochastic processes and has applications in many scientific fields.

4. What is the significance of studying the Ehrenfest Urn Problem?

The Ehrenfest Urn Problem is a simple yet powerful mathematical model that has important implications in many areas of science, including statistical mechanics, probability theory, and quantum mechanics. By studying this problem, scientists can gain insights into the behavior of complex systems and make predictions about their behavior in real-world scenarios.

5. Can the Ehrenfest Urn Problem be generalized to include more than two urns?

Yes, the Ehrenfest Urn Problem can be generalized to include any number of urns. This is known as the "multi-dimensional Ehrenfest Urn Problem" and has applications in fields such as economics and biology. The principles and concepts used to solve the two-urn problem can be extended to solve the multi-dimensional problem, making it a valuable tool in the study of stochastic processes.