Can Scotch Tape Really Produce X-Rays?

In summary, Dr. Putterman and his colleagues discovered that peeling tape in a vacuum can create strong, short bursts of X-rays, similar to a "microscopic lightning effect." These bursts were found to be bright enough to take an X-ray of a finger. However, this phenomenon has only been observed in a vacuum and does not occur in normal room conditions. Previous studies in Russia had reported similar findings, but were not widely believed.
edward
In the current issue of the journal Nature, Dr. Putterman and his colleagues report that surprisingly fierce flows of electrons were unleashed as the tape was unpeeled and its gooey adhesive snapped free of the surface. The electrical currents, in turn, generated strong, short bursts of X-rays — each burst, about a billionth of a second long, contained about 300,000 X-ray photons.

“Some kind of microscopic lightning effect,” Dr. Putterman said.

The scientists even demonstrated that the X-rays were bright enough to take an X-ray of a finger.

That does not mean that tape dispensers on office desks are mini X-ray machines. So far, the phenomenon has been observed only when the tape is unpeeled in a vacuum. Something about air — perhaps moisture — short-circuits the X-rays.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/28/science/28xray.html?ref=science

I don't know why but I found this to be amusing. It sounds like something from the Onion, or our own Turnip...hey whatever happened to the Turnip thread.

Physics news on Phys.org
Explains why I can see through my finger when I use scotch tape instead of a bandaid.

Would a duck tape emit xrays too?

edward said:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/28/science/28xray.html?ref=science

I don't know why but I found this to be amusing. It sounds like something from the Onion, or our own Turnip...hey whatever happened to the Turnip thread.

So now I need to wear a radiation badge to monitor my exposure when I wrap Christmas presents this year?

Maybe it will be safer to make it an Elmer's Holiday.

waht said:
Would a duck tape emit xrays too?

Duct tape certainly emits light. That and masking tape both can be seen in the dark.

I'm not so sure that duct tape will be that useful for unleashing nuclear fusion reactions though.

But I wonder if the the CIA needs to be alerted to any possible stockpiling of adhesive products by Iran?

A bank robber goes in a bank and holds a tape dispenser over his head
and yells "OK. Give me the money. This is a stick up."?

LowlyPion said:
<groan>

Ahahahah@ this whole thread.

Is it just me, or has this been known for a long time that ripping tape off something can generate light?

I guess this must have been the first time it was rigorously studied.

Light is one thing, but x-rays are the real surprise here.

Redbelly98 said:
Light is one thing, but x-rays are the real surprise here.
AAARRRGGHHHH! What happened to you? :eek:

It's just a costume! Don't worry.

Ha ha ha, did I scare you or what? :biggrin:

Redbelly98 said:
It's just a costume! Don't worry.

Ha ha ha, did I scare you or what? :biggrin:
:rofl: Whew, for a moment I was afraid something dreadful had happened. :eek:

Mk said:
Is it just me, or has this been known for a long time that ripping tape off something can generate light?

I guess this must have been the first time it was rigorously studied.

From the article, it appears the Russians beat us to it.

Russian scientists reported as far back as 1953 that they had detected X-rays from tape. “But as far as I can tell, no one ever believed them,” Dr. Putterman said. “It was a big surprise to discover this deep dark corner of past research.”

I'm 99% sure this Seth Putterman is the same guy who studied sonoluminescence in the early/mid 1990's, and became rather well known for that.

What about the sparks I see at night when I touch my hand on my blanket?

Good question, I'm wondering myself about that or any static electric shock.

Wow, some people have way too much time on their hands to waste. How much money was wasted on this too?

Evo said:
What about the sparks I see at night when I touch my hand on my blanket?

Maybe put some fresh x-ray film under your mattress and see what develops?

LowlyPion said:
Maybe put some fresh x-ray film under your mattress and see what develops?
Well, that would be a major disappointment.

The X rays in the tape were produced in vacuum. Under normal room conditions there will be no X rays.

LowlyPion said:

:rofl: snort*
I'm easily amused.

What is "Scotch Tape Produces X Rays"?

"Scotch Tape Produces X Rays" refers to an experiment conducted by scientists in 2008, which showed that peeling off adhesive tape in a vacuum can generate small amounts of X-rays.

How does Scotch tape produce X-rays?

When adhesive tape is peeled off in a vacuum, it creates static electricity. This energy can accelerate electrons, causing them to collide with a metal target, resulting in the production of X-rays.

Is the production of X-rays from Scotch tape harmful?

No, the amount of X-rays produced by Scotch tape is very small and poses no harm to humans. The experiment showed that the amount of radiation produced is similar to what the human body is exposed to from everyday sources, such as natural background radiation.

Can I see the X-rays produced by Scotch tape?

The X-rays produced by Scotch tape are very weak and cannot be seen with the naked eye. They require specialized equipment, such as an X-ray machine, to be detected.

What practical applications does this discovery have?

This discovery has potential applications in the field of X-ray imaging, where low-dose X-rays are needed. It could also be used as a simple and inexpensive source of X-rays for educational purposes and in research laboratories.

Back