Force on an object submerged

In summary, the problem asks for the force exerted by seawater on a circular observation window of an underwater vehicle at the bottom of the Mariana Trench. Using the density of seawater and the formula for pressure, the pressure is calculated to be 1.06 e8 Pa. The force is then found by multiplying the pressure by the area of the circular window, which is determined to be approximately 3.33 e6 N.
iseidthat

Homework Statement

In this problem, please make sure to use the density of seawater = 1025 kg/m3.

The bottom of the Mariana Trench, located in the Pacific Ocean, is about 11,000 m below the ocean's surface, making it the deepest ocean depth on Earth.
If an underwater vehicle were exploring the region, at a depth of 10550 m,

a.) What force would the water exert on the vehicle's circular observation window, which has a radius of 0.1 m?

Homework Equations

P= pgh

The Attempt at a Solution

P=pgh=1025 x 9.81 x 10550= 1.06 e8 Pa

i don't really get how the radius relates...
and if I'm suppose to find the buoyant force, how do i find it without the mass or volume?

Physics news on Phys.org
How does pressure relate to force?

iseidthat said:

Homework Statement

In this problem, please make sure to use the density of seawater = 1025 kg/m3.

The bottom of the Mariana Trench, located in the Pacific Ocean, is about 11,000 m below the ocean's surface, making it the deepest ocean depth on Earth.
If an underwater vehicle were exploring the region, at a depth of 10550 m,

a.) What force would the water exert on the vehicle's circular observation window, which has a radius of 0.1 m?

Homework Equations

P= pgh

The Attempt at a Solution

P=pgh=1025 x 9.81 x 10550= 1.06 e8 Pa

i don't really get how the radius relates...
and if I'm suppose to find the buoyant force, how do i find it without the mass or volume?
You calculated the pressure correctly; the problem wants not the buoyant force, but rather, the force of the water pressure on the window. How is force and pressure related?

well
F=P x A...but i don't have the area...
i know radius is 0.1 m, but i don't know the other dimensions.

ohhh its a circular window! ahah i misread it.
so the area of a circle :
A=pi r^2=pi(.1m)^2=.031416 m^2

so F= 1.06 e 8 x .031416 =3.33 e 6

mmmk thanks :)

1. What is the definition of force on an object submerged?

The force on an object submerged refers to the amount of external pressure applied to an object when it is completely or partially submerged in a fluid, such as water or air.

2. How is the force on an object submerged calculated?

The force on an object submerged can be calculated using the formula F = ρVg, where F is the force, ρ is the density of the fluid, V is the volume of the object submerged, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

3. How does the density of the fluid affect the force on an object submerged?

The density of the fluid has a direct impact on the force on an object submerged, as seen in the formula F = ρVg. The higher the density of the fluid, the greater the force applied on the object.

4. What other factors can affect the force on an object submerged?

Aside from the density of the fluid, other factors that can affect the force on an object submerged include the depth of submersion, the shape and size of the object, and the acceleration due to gravity.

5. How is the force on an object submerged different from the force on an object in free fall?

The force on an object submerged is caused by the pressure of the surrounding fluid, while the force on an object in free fall is due to the acceleration of gravity. Additionally, the direction of the force on an object submerged is typically upwards, while the force on an object in free fall is downwards.