Movies for hardcore sci-fi geeks

In summary, Shane Carruth's Primer is a well-done, complex science fiction film that may be too difficult for some viewers. It's an excellent movie that is sure to entertain those who enjoy time travel and scientific fiction.

Huckleberry said:
I'm not too familiar with Iron Man, but wasn't Tony Stark supposed to be paralyzed? And what was the deal with that thing stuck in his heart? Was that from the comics? It looks like they changed the origin of the character to match the script, rather than following the Marvel comic conception. I still don't understand how he can fall out of the sky and crash into the ground and not have to be poured out of that metal suit of his. I also liked Downey's performance. I thought it was OK overall, but I'm kinda tired of so many super-hero comic movies lately.

Danger, have you seen 'Watchmen'? I really liked that comic book movie. The good guys aren't so good, and the bad guys aren't so bad. They've got more than cutesy character flaws to make them appear human. They operate on their own personal agendas, and not so much on stereotypical concepts of what is right/wrong. That made it interesting for me. Rorschach is my favorite character.

I'll be checking out 'District 9' soon. I'm glad some people have enjoyed it. That raises my hopes a little.

The thing in Stark's heart was added. I never read a whole lot of Ironman comics but I know that the history is quite long and has gone through a few major changes so it would probably be hard to figure out what to go with. Stark wasn't originally paralyzed. I think that happened some time in the 90s. Overall I think that they stuck pretty well to the original Ironman character if not so much the original story. James Rhodes and Pepper Potts are both from the comics. Stark was an alcoholic. Even the not so realistic bits are typical to the comic book.

I never read the Watchmen comics but I enjoyed the movie. Rorschach is definitely the best.

Physics news on Phys.org

I haven't seen Watchmen; in fact, I never heard of them until the movie came out.
The origin of Iron Man in the movie is almost exactly the same as in the original comic, except that it was moved from Viet Nam to Afghanistan. The mentor who gave his life to allow his escape, and Rhodes, were in the first comic book. The evolution of the suit, though, went through about a dozen versions in the books. He even had one for space travel and one for underwater use.
The reason for the magnet in the chest of the suit is that he has a piece of shrapnel impinging upon his heart, which will migrate and kill him if the magnet isn't there to hold it in place. In the comics, he eventually had it surgically removed.

Danger said:
The reason for the magnet in the chest of the suit is that he has a piece of shrapnel impinging upon his heart, which will migrate and kill him if the magnet isn't there to hold it in place. In the comics, he eventually had it surgically removed.

That actually was in the comic books?

TheStatutoryApe said:
That actually was in the comic books?
Absolutely. The origin in the movie was quite faithful to the comics.

There was another mini-series that I enjoyed for its creativity - The Lost Room

The Lost Room is a science fiction television miniseries that aired on the Sci Fi Channel in the United States. The series revolves around the titular room and some of the everyday items from that room which possesses unusual powers. The show's protagonist, Joe Miller, is searching for these objects to rescue his daughter, Anna, who has disappeared inside the Room. Once a typical room at a 1960s motel along U.S. Route 66, the Lost Room exists outside of normal time and space since 1961, when what is only referred to as "the Event" took place...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lost_Room

DaveC426913 said:
Absolutely. The origin in the movie was quite faithful to the comics.
Wow, I'd never heard of that before. My comic book geek friends and I all thought that was new.

Ivan Seeking said:
There was another mini-series that I enjoyed for its creativity - The Lost Room

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lost_Room

This was a very good mini series. When it was over I wanted it to keep going. I kind of hoped it would get picked up for a regular show.

TheStatutoryApe said:
This was a very good mini series. When it was over I wanted it to keep going. I kind of hoped it would get picked up for a regular show.

I had the same reaction, but a series would probably be tough to do well. Pretty soon we would have have a secret vault filled with many new objects beneath the room, put there by aliens who detected the space-time event. It turns out that he didn't rescue his real daughter, rather one from a parallel world who must return in order to prevent their world from non-existence. We would discover wonderful new objects like, a vacuum cleaner that makes people's heads explode, and vice grips that spaghettify people... And it really all started with Kennedy's assasination.

...for example. :biggrin:

I've never heard of 'The Lost Room', but it does remind me of one of my favourite shows: 'Lost'. It definitely has SF elements to it. It hasn't been on for quite a while now, but I gave up watching it on TV years ago anyhow. If you miss a couple of minutes of one episode, you're screwed.
My former boss and I both watched it (but I taped it and then watched while getting ready for work the next day) and discussed the last episode at work. Three years ago, she gave me seasons 1 & 2 on DVD for X-mas, then season 3 two years ago. The company went out of business at the end of October, and I've been unemployed ever since, but my wife picked up the slack and gave me season 4 this year. It makes so much more sense when you can watch a dozen episodes all in a row, rather than try to remember stuff that happened last week. I'm really looking forward to the next DVD box to see what happens next. (And don't anybody dare post any spoilers... :grumpy:)
And before anyone mentions it, I do know that you can watch it on-line. I just happen to prefer a larger screen for entertainment. (Not to mention surround-sound.)Hey, Stats... here's a site that you might enjoy. http://marvel.com/universe/Main_Page

edit: You can also look up any Marvel character on Wikipedia and get a pretty decent biography.

Last edited:

There were a few of the second Outer Limits series that deserve honorable mention. I think this was from OL, but it could have been the second Twlight Zone series. Since it was a TV show episode, and not a movie, I'll just throw out a spoiler. I'd never seen or read a plot quite like it: Not sure about all of the details anymore, but a woman is a renegade [psychological freedom fighter, you might say] illegally helping people to recall memories from past lives, with her "special gift". Eventually she is caught by the government. But instead of being imprisoned or killed as she expected, they show her why the "art" of past lives recall is banned. It turns out that many or most psychological problems can be tracked to experiences from past lives. If these memories are avoided - locked away in the subconscious - people are much happier and mentally healthy. The episode ends with her counseling people under the pretense of standard therapy, but using hypnosis covertly to help people forget past lives, rather than remember them.

I thought that was pretty clever.

Last edited:

Ivan Seeking said:
There were a few of the second Outer Limits series that deserve honorable mention.

I was particularly fond of the episode which featured Alyissa Milano topless. :tongue2:

Danger said:
I was particularly fond of the episode which featured Alyissa Milano topless. :tongue2:

That was also a pretty good episode, but not particularly creative. They are all pretty good, but there was one that I thought was excellent. I will have to find the correct episode. The SandKings was good, as was The Sentence.
http://epguides.com/OuterLimits_1995/

Ivan Seeking said:
That was also a pretty good episode, but not particularly creative. They are all pretty good, but there was one that I thought was excellent. I will have to find the correct episode. The SandKings was good, as was The Sentence.
http://epguides.com/OuterLimits_1995/

I don't care about the creativity; I just like her tits. (Did the US get an edited version?)
There sure are a hell of a lot of Bridges' in that SandKings episode. I can't say as I particularly remember seeing it, but the original short story was serialized in Omni magazine and I read it. It was right good. (George R.R. Martin was the author, if memory serves.)
One thing that stood out in my mind, and might weird out a few people, is the first episode of the new Twilight Zone. It was a one-man show ('Shatterday', written by Harlan Ellison) staring the currently unknown Bruce Willis. That SOB can act when given a chance. He should have gotten an Emmy for that performance, and I believe was nominated for a couple of different awards. Then he was never seen again until 'Moonlighting' came out a few years later.

Last edited:

I think District 9 deserves a plug. Lot's of holes in the story, but enjoyable none-the-less.

Also 'Moon' for that matter. Worth the time.

Ivan Seeking said:
I had the same reaction, but a series would probably be tough to do well. Pretty soon we would have have a secret vault filled with many new objects beneath the room, put there by aliens who detected the space-time event. It turns out that he didn't rescue his real daughter, rather one from a parallel world who must return in order to prevent their world from non-existence. We would discover wonderful new objects like, a vacuum cleaner that makes people's heads explode, and vice grips that spaghettify people... And it really all started with Kennedy's assasination.

...for example. :biggrin:

Hey, that sounds a little like Warehouse 13 - a new SyFy channel show - except for the alien part (I think?).

I keep hearing about District 9. I should probably make sure to see it at some point. I'm not really even sure what it is about. Don't worry about telling me though, I tend to enjoy movies much more when I have no idea what they are about before seeing them.

As far as TV shows go, Journeyman was actually quite good. Its sort of a Quantum Leap rip off except that the main character (Dan) is unpredictably shifted, physically, back and forth between his own time and some other time. The basic idea is the same though, he travels to other points in time to change small events and improve people's lives. A significant portion of the show deals with how this effects his family life, having as wife and kid, and how he tries to prove it or hide it from different people in his life some of which think he is drinking or doing drugs (lost time, not showing up when he is supposed to, telling strange stories). The writing and dialog are pretty clever in my opinion. One of the neat signatures of the show was that when ever Dan showed up in some other time there would be a radio nearby playing a song that came out that same year.

WhoWee said:
Hey, that sounds a little like Warehouse 13 - a new SyFy channel show - except for the alien part (I think?).

That looks like it could be an interesting series. The Lost Room though is a bit different. It revolves around normal everyday objects that have been mysteriously imbued with odd powers, some useful and others just sort of silly. For instance one of the objects that becomes somewhat important is a bus ticket that will teleport you to a specific place on a highway out in the middle of the midwest somewhere. I think it was the midwest, I don't remember anymore. All of the objects are related and come from the same place.

If you like that other show then I am pretty sure you would enjoy The Lost Room.

TheStatutoryApe said:
the main character (Dan) is unpredictably shifted, physically, back and forth between his own time and some other time. The basic idea is the same though, he travels to other points in time to change small events and improve people's lives.

As if I you were talking about The butterfly effect :smile:

Borek said:
As if I you were talking about The butterfly effect :smile:

Ah, I remember hearing about that movie but never saw it. Er.. are you referring to the movie? or just the principle? lol

It is definitely similar to the Butterfly Effect. He is usually transported to multiple different times through a persons life during an episode and in each instance is meant to change some particular event which ultimately leads to some desired outcome which may or may not be foreseeable.

TheStatutoryApe said:
Er.. are you referring to the movie? or just the principle? lol

Movie :smile:

TheStatutoryApe said:
I keep hearing about District 9. I should probably make sure to see it at some point. I'm not really even sure what it is about. Don't worry about telling me though, I tend to enjoy movies much more when I have no idea what they are about before seeing them.

As far as TV shows go, Journeyman was actually quite good. Its sort of a Quantum Leap rip off except that the main character (Dan) is unpredictably shifted, physically, back and forth between his own time and some other time. The basic idea is the same though, he travels to other points in time to change small events and improve people's lives. A significant portion of the show deals with how this effects his family life, having as wife and kid, and how he tries to prove it or hide it from different people in his life some of which think he is drinking or doing drugs (lost time, not showing up when he is supposed to, telling strange stories). The writing and dialog are pretty clever in my opinion. One of the neat signatures of the show was that when ever Dan showed up in some other time there would be a radio nearby playing a song that came out that same year.

'District 9' was ok, which was much better than I expected. I was glad they didn't overplay the political aspect. Not a bad job at all. They left plenty of room for a sequel too. I'll probably see that too.

I really liked 'Journey Man'. I was upset when it got cancelled. So many great SF series get canned after their first season while they are still going strong. Yet shows like 'Heroes' or 'Lost' start out with a bang and end up treading water after the first or second season and they continue on. The decision to keep a show on the air is all about advertising and marketing and only loosely based on show quality. Once in a while some SF shows squeek by like BSG or Babylon 5, but most fade away like 'Greatest American Hero' or 'Tales of the Golden Monkey'. 'Journey Man' deserved a second season, at least.

TheStatutoryApe said:
That looks like it could be an interesting series. The Lost Room though is a bit different. It revolves around normal everyday objects that have been mysteriously imbued with odd powers, some useful and others just sort of silly. For instance one of the objects that becomes somewhat important is a bus ticket that will teleport you to a specific place on a highway out in the middle of the midwest somewhere.

It would have been fun to help write that aspect of the story - the objects. It was also a unique idea in SF, as far as I know. It doesn't qualify as hard SF by any means in that no attempt was made to explain the objects and their particular powers [at least not as far as I can remember], but it was fun.

Cube 2 is fun. Cheesy, but fun. no need to see Cube 1 to enjoy it.

Danger said:

Here you go, Danger, you can watch the entire Outer Limits series [1995-2002] at Hulu now.
http://www.hulu.com/outer-limits?c=Science-Fiction

Last edited by a moderator:

I think one of my favorite movies of all time would have to be The Fifth Element.

I am also a huge Firefly fan.

Warehouse 13 was not that great. It was like a higher-budget Torchwood, but not as entertaining as Torchwood.

District 9 was awesome (there's an original short, too, that's like 5-10 minutes long)

V looked good, but I never made it through it and then someone told me what they were after, and now a new one is coming out.

Firefly was ok, Battlestar Gallactica was better. I made it through the whole series, though, and watched the movie.

I couldn't get into Planescape. Reminds me too much of Star Trek with the goofy alien costumes.

Final Approach - 1991. Available for instant viewing at Netflix.

After crashing a black-project stealth aircraft, Col. Jason Halsey finds himself in a psychiatrist's office, with no memory of his past and no knowledge of his own identity.

If you liked The Man from Earth, you should like this one. It has a few clunker moments, but all in all the writing is excellent!

Also noteworthy: Sleep Dealer - 2008. Tsu and I both thought it was quite good.

In a futuristic yet not unfamiliar world, the lives of three strangers connect in surprising ways amid a backdrop of militarization, closed borders and an all-encompassing global technological network. At the center of this potent sci-fi tale (nominated for a Best First Feature Independent Spirit Award) are Memo (Luis Fernando Peña), a peasant displaced after his village is attacked; Luz, a writer (Leonor Varela) who plugs her brain into the net; and Rudy (Jacob Vargas), an American security company worker.
http://www.netflix.com/Movie/Sleep_Dealer/70084155?trkid=226870

Spanish w/subtitles.

Pattonias said:
I think one of my favorite movies of all time would have to be The Fifth Element.

I am also a huge Firefly fan.

Boron?

Ivan Seeking said:
While I appreciate good special effects as much as the next guy, I have to agree. As I think Primer and The Man from Earth conclusively demonstrate, the best science fiction needs no special effects.

Primer is one of my favorite movies of all time. It shows what one man with barely any funds and a lot of passion/ingenuity can do.

Anticitizen said:
I came in here to recommend Primer when I saw the thread title.

Ha. Me too. I only show that movie to select few of people i know in my personal life. But when people get it, its truly an experience.

I just watched District 9 and enjoyed it. For all of its unconventional elements the plot was still fairly Hollywood predictable though.

What did people think of Southland Tales?

Did anyone say dark city?

magpies said:
Did anyone say dark city?

The Truman Show, but run by the Borg. :wink:

Has anyone ever heard of Tales of Tomorrow? It is touted as the first [popular or successful?] science fiction television program. True or not, it is certainly one of the first. The show was broadcast live, on ABC, from 1951 through 1953. Due to its live broadcast [I assume], the original commercials are included in the show. It was quite striking to see commercials asking for Care packages for the victims of war-torn Europe! Also are some Kreisler watch band commercials that are classic in their own right - definitive early 50's to the point of being cliche and humorous. I read that Kreisler is still making watch bands - talk about getting a bang for your advertising buck!

The show itself is a series of short stories based largely on classic sci-fi literature, but it barely qualifies as a TV program in the sense that we think of it today. It is really just a filmed sci-fi stage play. One even catches glimpses of props that are more appropriate for a high school play rather than a profesionally made TV program.There are no special effects to speak of and the stories are entirely dialogue driven. I have only had time to view a few episodes, and it may grow thin pretty quickly, but so far it is entertaining for the historical content alone. The stories themselves are okay [so far] but not great. The acting has been marginal at best and overly dramatic. Plot development for secondary storylines is a mere afterthought. Nonetheless, for sci-fi lovers, I suggest taking a look. I had never even heard of it until I saw it at Hulu.

Hulu has 40 episodes available for free online viewing.
http://www.hulu.com/tales-of-tomorrow

Last edited by a moderator: