Capacitors Connected, Disconnected, and Connected Again

• Thread starter ---
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Capacitors
In summary, three capacitors with capacitances of 2.0uF, 4.0uF, and 6.0uF are connected in parallel and then disconnected from a 200-V source. When switches S1 and S2 are closed, but S3 remains open, the potential difference across each capacitor is the same. After S3 is closed, the final charge on the leftmost plate of each capacitor is unknown, but the potential difference across each capacitor is known. The equations used are C=Q/V, Vsys=Cequiv*Qtotal, and the series and parallel equations for capacitance.
---

Homework Statement

Physprob.jpg

Capacitors 1,3, and 3 have capacitances equal to 2.0uF, 4.0 uF, and 6.0uF, respectively. The capacitors are connected in parallel, and the parallel combination is connected across the terminals of a 200-V source. The capacitors are then disconnected from both the voltage source and each other, and are connected to three switches as shown in the image. a) What is the potential difference across each capacitor when switches S1 and S2 are closed but switch S3 remains open? b) After switch S3 is closed, what is the final charge on the lefmost plate of each capacitor? c) Give the final potential difference across each capacitor after switch S3 is closed.

Homework Equations

C = Q/V

Vsys=Cequiv*Qtotal

Series Connection: 1/Cequiv = 1/C1 + 1/C2 + ... + 1/Cn
Parallel Connection: Cequiv = C1 + C2 +...+ Cn
n= number of capacitors under consideration.

The Attempt at a Solution

For a) the potentials are the same, but I think I am not justifying it by the right reasons. My argument is that since all the capacitors were at the same potential when connected in parallel, as they are connected as asked by a there can be no direct change in potential because none of the capacitors are directly attached to one another.
b) I really don't know exactly, and trust me, I'm not trying to slack off but I'm just clueless as to how to approach it. My thoughts is that C1 and C3 are connected in parallel but I don't know how to account for C2 so everything remains unsolved. If they were all in series then they would all end up with the same charge, but that's not the case so I am not sure what to do. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

When they are in || across the voltage source they are endowed with specific charges from the supply. Q = V*C

What they want you to consider then is what happens when you take these charged capacitors and now place them in a series configuration.

a) When switches S1 and S2 are closed, but switch S3 remains open, the potential difference across each capacitor will be equal to the potential of the source, which is 200V.

b) After switch S3 is closed, the final charge on the leftmost plate of each capacitor will depend on the equivalent capacitance of the circuit. The equivalent capacitance of the circuit can be calculated using the formula for parallel connection: Cequiv = C1 + C2 + C3.

Since C1 and C3 are connected in parallel, their equivalent capacitance will be (2.0uF)*(6.0uF)/(2.0uF+6.0uF) = 1.5uF. This equivalent capacitance will then be connected in series with C2, resulting in a total equivalent capacitance of (1.5uF)*(4.0uF)/(1.5uF+4.0uF) = 1.2uF.

Using the formula Q = CV, we can find the final charge on the leftmost plate of each capacitor: Q = (1.2uF)*(200V) = 240uC.

c) After switch S3 is closed, the final potential difference across each capacitor can be calculated using the formula V = Q/C. The potential difference across C1 will be 240uC/2.0uF = 120V, across C2 will be 240uC/4.0uF = 60V, and across C3 will be 240uC/6.0uF = 40V.

1. What is a capacitor and how does it work?

A capacitor is an electronic component that stores electrical energy. It consists of two conductive plates separated by an insulating material, known as a dielectric. When a voltage is applied to the capacitor, one plate becomes positively charged and the other becomes negatively charged, creating an electric field between them. This electric field stores energy, which can be released when the capacitor is connected to a circuit.

2. How do I connect a capacitor to a circuit?

To connect a capacitor to a circuit, you will need to identify the polarity of the capacitor. The positive side of the capacitor should be connected to the positive side of the circuit, and the negative side to the negative side. It is important to make sure the capacitor is connected in the correct orientation to avoid damaging it or the circuit. Capacitors are typically connected using wires or soldered onto a circuit board.

3. What happens when a capacitor is disconnected from a circuit?

When a capacitor is disconnected from a circuit, it retains the charge that was stored in it. This means that the capacitor will still have voltage across its terminals even when it is not connected to a power source. The voltage may decrease over time due to leakage, but it will remain until the capacitor is connected to a circuit again.

4. Can I reconnect a capacitor to a circuit after it has been disconnected?

Yes, you can reconnect a capacitor to a circuit after it has been disconnected. However, it is important to discharge the capacitor before doing so to avoid any potential safety hazards. You can discharge a capacitor by shorting its terminals with a resistor or by using a specialized discharge tool. Once the capacitor is discharged, you can safely reconnect it to the circuit.

5. What are some common uses for capacitors?

Capacitors have a wide range of uses in electronic circuits. They are commonly used for filtering or smoothing out electrical signals, storing energy, and providing a temporary power source in case of power outages. Capacitors are also used in timing circuits, voltage regulators, and audio equipment. Additionally, they are essential components in electronic devices such as computers, smartphones, and TVs.