Calculating Loads for a 2m x 2m Concrete Tunnel with 4 Supports

• Thread starter curious_iza
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Concrete
In summary, Isabelle calculated that the concrete tunnel would support a live load of 4kN/m^2, and the ultimate load would be 36kN/m.
curious_iza
Hi I have tried this question and am struggling to work it out;

A concrete concrete tunnel with 2m x 2m dimensions on the outside (in cross section) with a uniform wall thickness of 200mm, is used to support a live load of 4kN/m^2 on its top surface. The density of the concrete is 25kN/m^3. The structure has 4 supports.

a) Calculate the dead load (G) and live load (Q) along its length in kN/m.

b) Calculate the ultimate state design load in kN/m of the concrete tunnel by applying the appropriate load factors of 1.2 and 1.5.

Obviously I have do work...

1) I got the cross section of the area which worked out to be 4m^2...

2) I then worked out the 'hollow' part since the thickness is only 200mm I got the 'empty' area as (2 - 0.2 -0.2)^2 = 2.56.

3) I subtracted this to get the actual cross section of the concrete.

4) I then made the length of the beam = Lm. And using the cross section and the Lm length I multiplied the cross section by the length to get the volume. Since density was given I multiplied volume by density and got 36L kN/m.

5) I then divided by L to get the force per m...

I don't know if I did all above right ... if so how do I tackle this question!

Thankyou for your time.

Kind regards, Isabelle

Attachments

• pro_1.jpg
    pro_1.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 3,266
Physics news on Phys.org

What is there in your problem to give you a live load at all? Do you have some design spec that calls out a live load for you? Nothing you mentioned in the problem statement sounds like a live load at all. Something seems to be missing here.

Hi, they give the live load of the top layer (which is 4kN/m^2) ... I have attached the file with the exact question asked (If you would like a diagram). Thanks.

I was unable to open your pdf previously.

I'm not sure what "calculate the live load" means when it is given in the figure, but oh well ...

The dead load should simply be the total weigh per length.

Oh... hang on... I think I just figured it out - I looked at the wrong solutions. Typical. :D

1. How do you calculate the load for a 2m x 2m concrete tunnel?

To calculate the load for a 2m x 2m concrete tunnel, you will need to determine the weight of the materials used in the construction of the tunnel, as well as any additional loads such as vehicles or equipment that will be passing through the tunnel. This information can then be plugged into a load calculation formula, taking into account the dimensions and supports of the tunnel, to determine the total load that the tunnel can withstand.

2. What is the maximum load capacity of a 2m x 2m concrete tunnel with 4 supports?

The maximum load capacity of a 2m x 2m concrete tunnel with 4 supports will vary depending on factors such as the strength of the concrete used, the type and spacing of the supports, and the overall design of the tunnel. A qualified engineer or structural designer should be consulted to determine the specific maximum load capacity for a particular tunnel.

3. How do the supports affect the load capacity of the concrete tunnel?

The supports play a critical role in the load capacity of a concrete tunnel. The number, type, and spacing of the supports will impact the overall strength and stability of the tunnel. The supports must be carefully designed and placed to evenly distribute the load and prevent any areas of the tunnel from being overloaded.

4. Are there any safety factors to consider when calculating loads for a concrete tunnel?

Yes, it is important to include safety factors when calculating loads for a concrete tunnel. These factors take into account any uncertainties or unforeseen circumstances that may affect the load capacity, such as natural disasters or human error. A standard safety factor for concrete structures is typically between 1.5-2 times the calculated load capacity.

5. What are the consequences of exceeding the maximum load capacity of a concrete tunnel?

Exceeding the maximum load capacity of a concrete tunnel can have serious consequences, including structural failure and collapse. This can result in damage to property, injury, or loss of life. It is crucial to accurately calculate and adhere to the maximum load capacity of the tunnel to ensure the safety and stability of the structure.