Help With Algebraic Extensions/Bases

• Thread starter audiowize
  • Start date
In summary, the basis for {n x n matrices with rational elements} is the set of n x n matrices with 1 in the upper left corner and 0's everywhere else, and the basis for {a+b*3.5 : a,b in Q(3.5)} is {1, 3.5}.
audiowize

Homework Statement

Determine the basis for {n x n matrices with rational elements}

Determine the basis for {a+b*3.5 : a,b in Q(3.5 }

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not super sure about the basis for an n x n matrix. I know the dimension will be n-squared, and how the elements will look, but actually sitting and writing out what the basis is seems tricky, or I am missing something...

On the second question, I think the basis is {1,3.5}, but I would love some confirmation...

Ah, the joys of Memorial Day homework! At least I have until Wednesday...

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. The basis for {n x n matrices with rational elements} is the set of n x n matrices with 1 in the upper left corner and 0's everywhere else. This is known as the standard basis for n x n matrices.

For the second question, the basis for {a+b*3.5 : a,b in Q(3.5)} is indeed {1, 3.5}. This is because any element in this set can be written as a linear combination of these two basis vectors.

I hope this helps with your homework. Happy Memorial Day!

1. What is an algebraic extension?

An algebraic extension is a field extension in which every element of the larger field can be expressed as a polynomial with coefficients from the smaller field.

2. What is a basis in algebraic extensions?

A basis in algebraic extensions is a set of elements that can be used to express every element in the extension field.

3. How do I find a basis for a given algebraic extension?

To find a basis for an algebraic extension, you can use the method of minimal polynomials. This involves finding the minimal polynomial for each element in the extension and using the roots of these polynomials as the basis elements.

4. Can a basis for an algebraic extension be unique?

Yes, a basis for an algebraic extension can be unique, but it is not always the case. There can be multiple bases for a given extension, but they will all have the same number of elements.

5. How can I use bases in algebraic extensions to simplify calculations?

Bases in algebraic extensions can be used to simplify calculations by reducing the number of terms in polynomial expressions. By expressing elements in the extension field using a basis, you can perform operations and simplify expressions using the properties of the basis elements.