Logic axiom of simplification.

In summary: If a is false, then the statement reduces to "false implies stuff" which is by definition true. If a is true the statement reduces to "b implies true" which is also by definition true.a -> (b -> a) is also equivalent to (a & b) -> a:a -> (b -> a)~a v (~b v a) [p -> q <=> ~p v q](~a v ~b) v a [(p v q) v r <=> p v (q v r)]~(a & b) v a [~(p & q) <=> ~p v ~q](a & b) -> a
matheinste
Hello all

I cannot find a simple explanation of the meaning of this axiom, probably because it is considered so obvioius that it needs no explanation. Can anyone explain in words.

[tex]{a}\rightarrow{({b}\rightarrow{a})}[/tex]

Thanks. Matheinste.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what you're looking for.

If a is false, then the statement reduces to "false implies stuff" which is by definition true. If a is true the statement reduces to "b implies true" which is also by definition true.

a -> (b -> a) is also equivalent to (a & b) -> a:

a -> (b -> a)
~a v (~b v a) [p -> q <=> ~p v q]
(~a v ~b) v a [(p v q) v r <=> p v (q v r)]
~(a & b) v a [~(p & q) <=> ~p v ~q]
(a & b) -> a

This formula also follows from the assumptions that (i) a formula always implies itself (p -> p) and (ii) lengthening a formula doesn't remove any of the formulas that the original implied ((p -> q) -> ((p & r) -> q)).

honestrosewater said:
a -> (b -> a) is also equivalent to (a & b) -> a:

a -> (b -> a)
~a v (~b v a) [p -> q <=> ~p v q]
(~a v ~b) v a [(p v q) v r <=> p v (q v r)]
~(a & b) v a [~(p & q) <=> ~p v ~q]
(a & b) -> a

This formula also follows from the assumptions that (i) a formula always implies itself (p -> p) and (ii) lengthening a formula doesn't remove any of the formulas that the original implied ((p -> q) -> ((p & r) -> q)).

Thanks also to GRGreathouse. I see it now.

To Compuchip. Yes, I mistakenly repeated the thread but did not know how to remove the second posting.

Thanks. Matheinste.

matheinste said:
Hello all

I cannot find a simple explanation of the meaning of this axiom, probably because it is considered so obvioius that it needs no explanation. Can anyone explain in words.

[tex]{a}\rightarrow{({b}\rightarrow{a})}[/tex]

Thanks. Matheinste.
It's a formula expressing the fact that a is deducible from a,b. It's a particular instance of the structural rule of weakening (which says that if A |- B, then A,phi |- B).

1. What is the logic axiom of simplification?

The logic axiom of simplification states that if a conjunction (AND statement) is true, then each individual statement within the conjunction is also true. In other words, if statement A AND statement B are both true, then statement A is also true and statement B is also true.

2. How is the logic axiom of simplification used in logic proofs?

The logic axiom of simplification is often used in logic proofs to break down complex statements into simpler statements. By applying this axiom, we can reduce the number of statements in a proof and make it easier to understand and follow.

3. What are some practical applications of the logic axiom of simplification?

The logic axiom of simplification is commonly used in computer programming and software development. It allows programmers to break down complex code into smaller, more manageable parts, making it easier to identify and fix errors.

4. Are there any limitations to the logic axiom of simplification?

Yes, the logic axiom of simplification can only be applied to conjunctions (AND statements). It cannot be used with disjunctions (OR statements) or other logical operators. Additionally, in some cases, applying this axiom may result in a loss of information or oversimplification of the problem at hand.

5. How does the logic axiom of simplification relate to the law of non-contradiction?

The law of non-contradiction states that a statement cannot be both true and false at the same time. The logic axiom of simplification is based on this law, as it assumes that if a conjunction is true, then each individual statement within it must also be true. Therefore, if one of the statements within the conjunction is false, it would contradict the truth of the conjunction and the law of non-contradiction.