2 Unknown Currents, 1 Unknown emf, and a little confusion to boot

In summary, the speaker is seeking help with a physics homework problem involving finding unknown currents and an unknown emf in a circuit. They have set up three equations but are having trouble solving for the unknown variables. However, they later realize that they were overcomplicating the problem and are able to solve it.
nonnynonny
(Solved.) 2 Unknown Currents, 1 Unknown emf, and a little confusion to boot!

First off, hello everyone! I just formally joined the forums today after reading discussions from the shadows for a while now.

This summer I'm taking the second part of a 200 level physics course and the homework (submitted online through the university) has gotten a bit a head of where we are in lectures. Normally it hasn't been a issue, but this particular problem has given me a headache.

I've attached a fairly simple circuit, and the problem is to find I1, I2, and the value of the unknown emf.

So far I've set up three equations to describe the circuit:

1.) I2 = 2.40A - I1
2.) Loop 1:
5 ohm * (2.40A) + E - 2.0 ohm * I2 = 0​
3.) Loop 2:
-6.70 ohm * I1 - 15V + 5.0 ohm * 2.40A = 0​

From there I've combined what I could in terms of multiplying the ohms and amps to give me volts in the equations, but no matter where I go from there I'm having difficulties setting up any further equations that will help me solve for the unknowns. And when I do manage to get one variable defined in terms of the others, I'll get something like amps for the unit of the unknown emf, so clearly something isn't right in my set-up, but I'm not sure what exactly.

Any help that anyone can give would be mightily appreciated. Thanks in advance.

[EDIT]
Never mind all of the above. I realized I was making this problem out to be something much more difficult than I needed to, and was going about it all wrong. I got it figured out now!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Glad you got it, and thanks for letting us know (not everybody does that).

I can understand the confusion and frustration you may have experienced while trying to solve this problem. It's important to remember that in science, there is often more than one way to approach a problem and it's okay to make mistakes along the way. What's important is that you keep trying and eventually find the solution.

It's great that you were able to identify your mistake and figure out the correct approach to solving the problem. This shows that you have a strong understanding of the concepts and are able to think critically to solve problems.

In the future, if you come across a similar problem, it may be helpful to take a step back and reassess your approach. Sometimes even a small mistake in setting up equations can throw off the entire solution. Additionally, don't be afraid to ask for help from your peers or instructor if you are struggling. Collaboration and discussion can often lead to a better understanding of the problem.

Overall, it's important to remember that science is a process of trial and error, and mistakes are a natural part of that process. Keep up the good work and never stop learning!

1. What are unknown currents and emf?

Unknown currents refer to electric currents that are not known or measured in a circuit or system. Emf, or electromotive force, is a measurement of the energy per unit charge that is supplied by a source, such as a battery, to move a charge around a circuit.

2. How can I determine the values of unknown currents and emf?

To determine the values of unknown currents and emf, you can use various electrical measurements and calculations, such as Kirchhoff's laws and Ohm's law. These laws and equations allow you to analyze the circuit and solve for the unknown values.

3. What is the role of confusion in this scenario?

In this scenario, confusion likely refers to the complexity of the circuit or system and the difficulty in determining the unknown currents and emf. It is common for scientists and engineers to encounter confusion when solving complex problems, but with careful analysis and application of principles, the confusion can be resolved.

4. How do unknown currents and emf affect the overall functioning of a circuit?

Unknown currents and emf can significantly impact the functioning of a circuit. If the values are incorrect or too high, it can lead to malfunctioning or damage to the circuit. Therefore, it is crucial to accurately determine these values to ensure the proper functioning of the circuit.

5. Can unknown currents and emf be measured directly?

No, unknown currents and emf cannot be measured directly. They are calculated using various measurements and laws in the circuit. However, once the values are determined, they can be measured directly with appropriate instruments, such as ammeters and voltmeters.