Derivative with respect to a vector

In summary, this notation is different from what I am used to and I do not understand how to solve some simple problems.
FirstYearGrad
I've stumbled across something I've never seen before. I am taking a class outside of my major and the notation seems to be quite different from what I am used to, and I am completely baffled as to how to solve what I feel are some simple problems.

Homework Statement

Find [tex]\frac{d f(\vec{k})}{\vec{k}}[/tex] where [tex]f(\vec{k}) = sin(ak_x)-cos(bk_y)+cos(ck_z)[/tex]. f itself is a scalar function that operates on the components of the vector [tex]\vec{k}[/tex].

The Attempt at a Solution

What does this notation mean? I have never seen a notation in which there is a derivative with respect to a vector. Is this the same thing as the gradient [tex]\nabla f[/tex]?

Physics news on Phys.org
In general, if a function from [itex]R^m[/itex] to [itex]R^n[/itex] is "differentiable at [itex]\vec{v_0}[/itex]" if and only if there exist a linear function, L, from [itex]R^m[/itex] to [itex]R^n[/itex] and a function [itex]\epsilon[/itex] from [itex]R^m[/itex] to [itex]R^n[/itex] such that [itex]f(\vec{v})= f(\vec{v_0})+ L(\vec{v}- \vec{v_0})+ \epsilon(\vec{v})[/itex] and [itex]\lim_{\vec{v}\to \vec{0}} \epsilon(\vec{v}/|\vec{v}|[/itex][itex]= 0[/itex]. In this case, we say that L is the "derivative of f with respect to [itex]\vec{v}[/itex] at [itex]vec{v_0}[/itex]".

Notice that L is a linear operator, not a number or even a vector. In the case f from [itex]R^1[/itex] to [itex]R^1[/itex], a real valued function of a single real variable as in Calculus I, a linear function from [itex]R^m[/itex] to [itex]R^n[/itex] is a multiple: [itex]mx[/itex] for some number m. In calculus I, we think of that number as being the derivative.

In the case of f from [itex]R^m[/itex] to [itex]R^1[/itex], a real valued function of several real variables, we can represent a linear function from [itex]R^m[/itex] to [itex]R^1[/itex] as a "dot product"- any linear function L(<x, y, z>) can be written as ax+ by+ cz= <a, b, c>[itex]\cdot[/itex]<x, y, z>. In that case, we can identify the derivative with that vector- which is, in fact, the gradient.

That is the case in your example. f is a real valued function of a variable in [itex]R^3[/itex]. Strictly speaking, its derivative is the linear transformation corresponding to taking the dot product of the position vector [itex]x\vec{i}+ y\vec{j}+ z\vec{k}[/itex] with the vector
[tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}\vec{i}+ \frac{\partial f}{\partial y}\vec{j}+ \frac{\partial f}{\partial z}\vec{k}[/tex]
which is, as you say, the gradient of f.

(Notice that we need "vector space" structure in the range space of f because we need to be able to subtract f(x+h)- f(x). We don't need to do "arithmetic" in the domain space because all we do there is take the limit as |h| goes to 0. That's why we tend to talk about "functions of several variables" rather than "functions of a vector variable".)

In the general case of f from [itex]R^m[/itex] to [itex]R^n[/itex] with neither m nor n equal to 1, a linear function from [itex]R^m[/itex] to [itex]R^n[/itex] can be written as a matrix multiplication and we can identify the derivative with that matrix. In the case of [itex]\vec{f}(\vec{v})= f_x(x, y, z)\vec{i}+ f_y(x,y,z)\vec{j}+ f_z(x,y,z)\vec{k}[/itex] (where \vec{v}= x\vec{i}+ y\vec{j}+ z\vec{k}[/itex]) that matrix is
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}\frac{\partial^2 f_x}{\partial x^2} & \frac{\partial^2 f_y}{\partial x\partial y} & \frac{\partial^2 f_z}{\partial x\partial z} \\ \frac{\partial^2 f_x}{\partial y\partial x} & \frac{\partial^2 f_y}{\partial y^2} & \frac{\partial^2 f_z}{\partial y\partial z}\\ \frac{\partial^2 f_z}{\partial z\partial x} & \frac{\partial^2 f_z}{\partial z\partial y} & \frac{\partial^2 f_z}{\partial z^2}\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

Last edited by a moderator:
wow HallsOfIvy, thank you for the detailed reply, I understand now; I had never really stopped to think about what [tex]\nabla{F}[/tex] meant. I am a bit light on the theory side of calculus so I have to rely on my gut instinct a lot.

1. What is a derivative with respect to a vector?

A derivative with respect to a vector is a mathematical concept that represents the rate of change of a function with respect to a specific vector variable. It measures how much a function changes as the values of the vector change.

2. How is a derivative with respect to a vector calculated?

To calculate a derivative with respect to a vector, the standard chain rule of differentiation is used. The function is first differentiated with respect to each component of the vector, and then the partial derivatives are assembled into a vector.

3. What is the significance of a derivative with respect to a vector?

A derivative with respect to a vector is important in many fields of science, including physics, engineering, and economics. It helps in understanding how a function changes in response to changes in multiple variables, and is used to optimize functions and solve complex problems.

4. Can a derivative with respect to a vector be negative?

Yes, a derivative with respect to a vector can be negative. This indicates that the function is decreasing as the values of the vector increase. Similarly, a positive derivative indicates that the function is increasing as the values of the vector increase.

5. Are there any applications of derivatives with respect to vectors in real life?

Yes, there are many real-life applications of derivatives with respect to vectors. For example, in physics, it is used to calculate velocity, acceleration, and force in multiple dimensions. In economics, it is used to optimize production and cost functions. In engineering, it is used in optimization and control systems.