Electronegativity difference NaH

In summary, NaH is categorized as an ionic hydride, where hydrogen is bound to an electropositive metal such as alkali or alkaline Earth metals. While it may have some covalent character due to weak metallic bonds, it is predominantly ionic. However, on a quantum level, it is difficult to distinguish between ionic and covalent bonds. Macroscopic properties, such as shattering when hit with a hammer and conducting electricity when melted, suggest that NaH is ionic with some covalent character.
Radwa Kamal
Although the electronegativity difference between sodium and hydrogen in NaH is less than 1.7 , it is ionic bond WHY??

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Who told you it was ionic?

Any alkaline metal hydride is ionic

Ionic hydrides
Ionic or saline hydride, is a hydrogen atom bound to an extremely electropositive metal, generally an alkali metals or alkaline Earth metals.
source:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydride#Ionic_hydrides

Do you think it is purely ionic or might it have a bit of covalent character to it?

I think it is purely ionic because for metals with weak metallic bond like alkaline metals it's a must to lose its valence electron completely for them they are are rarely found in covalent compounds.

Last edited:
Bah, everything's got a bit of a covalent character to it and vice-versa :) Do the actual QM calculations and you won't find nice integers popping up very often..

Thanx 4 enrichin me by this info in fact my study is somehow limited because am still in high school I didn't study QM calculations

Radwa Kamal said:
Thanx 4 enrichin me by this info in fact my study is somehow limited because am still in high school I didn't study QM calculations

Hi,

This is the same as, I have heard about as, this is what I have studied in my time.

Thanks!

Radwa Kamal said:

With an electronegativity difference of only 1.7 it is likely a very polarized covalent bond or an very covalent ionic bond. Semantics.

The only way I can tell to distinguish the two cases is on a macroscopic level. Let's face it, on a quantum level there's basically no straightforward way of telling ionic from covalent. (all the atoms are in a lattice and there's electrons everywhere)
So, if you hit a large crystal of NaH with a hammer, would it shatter? if you melt NaH (in an inert atmosphere), will it conduct electricity?
My gut says yes to both, and therefore I would say NaH is ionic.

Yea its a Ionic Compound ( due to its properties) with more Covalent Character : )
We know nothing is Purely(100%) ionic or covalent : )

1. What is the electronegativity difference between sodium and hydrogen in NaH?

The electronegativity difference between sodium (Na) and hydrogen (H) in NaH is 1.93. This value is calculated by subtracting the electronegativity of hydrogen (2.20) from the electronegativity of sodium (0.93).

2. How does the electronegativity difference affect the bonding in NaH?

The large electronegativity difference between sodium and hydrogen results in an ionic bond in NaH. This means that sodium will transfer its electron to hydrogen, creating a positively charged sodium ion and a negatively charged hydrogen ion.

3. Why is the electronegativity difference between sodium and hydrogen important?

The electronegativity difference between elements is important because it determines the type of bond that will form between them. In the case of NaH, the large electronegativity difference results in an ionic bond, while a smaller difference would result in a covalent bond.

4. How does the electronegativity difference between sodium and hydrogen compare to other ionic compounds?

The electronegativity difference between sodium and hydrogen in NaH is relatively high compared to other ionic compounds. For example, the electronegativity difference between sodium and chlorine in NaCl is 2.10, while the difference between sodium and oxygen in Na2O is 3.13.

5. How do the electronegativity values for sodium and hydrogen contribute to the electronegativity difference in NaH?

The electronegativity values for sodium and hydrogen are determined by the number of protons and their distance from the nucleus in each atom. In NaH, the large difference in electronegativity values between sodium (0.93) and hydrogen (2.20) is due to the large difference in their atomic structures.