Unravelling the History of Stars: 14 Billion Years

In summary, our solar system formed from a gas and dust cloud, and most of the heavy elements in our bodies and on Earth came from supernovas. There have been a flurry of supernovas recently in the universe, and our sun was born from one of these events. Stellar spectroscopy shows a large number of similar stars in the galaxy, and it is likely that none of our current neighbors were formed in the same stellar nursery as the sun.
thenewmans
I have a series of questions here all around me attempting to get a better image of what has happened around here over the last 14 billion years. You don’t have to answer them individually. One good explanation might answer them all.

Q1: About how many novas, supernovas and such have the matter in our bodies or in Earth gone through? I assume there’s an estimate based on the proportion of elements or something like that.

Q2: How big were the stars from which we are made? I assume we use to be in some pretty big stars since we have iron. Maybe the first one was really big.

Q3: Did our iron come from one nova and our oxygen come from another? Maybe our stellar nursery was made from several novae.

Q4: Can we tell if any stars near us were made from the same stellar nursery as ours?

Q5: When did the novas occur? If our solar system formed 5 billion years ago, maybe the nova was 6 billion years ago. Maybe there was a flurry of supernovas when the universe was young.

Astronomy news on Phys.org

1. It is difficult to discern what materials originated in nova v supernova. It is probably safe to say the majoritiy of heavy elements in the solar system originated in supernava. If we had a precise accounting of the relative amount of heavy elements in the solar system, we could calculate the relative contribution of star 'guts' to the mass of the solar system. There is no reliable way to estimate the number of stars that contributed to the initial gas / dust cloud from which the solar system originated.

2. The lower mass limit for a supernova progenitor star is thought to be about 8 solar masses. Most of the contributors were probably from much more massive stars. Population ! stars, comprised of primordial gas, may have exceeded 100 solar masses.

3. It was almost certainly a mix from a number, possibly large number of deceased stars.

4. Stellar spectroscopy shows a large number of stars of similar chemistry as the sun in this part of the galaxy. They were not, however, always neighbors. Stars flow in and out of galactic regions over billions of years. Perhaps none of our current neighbors were formed in the same nursery as the sun.

5. Supernova are believed to have been much more common in the early days of our galaxy. We see evidence of this in distant young galaxies in the universe. The spectra of galaxies gives us an indication of their ages.

I see. OK. I kept imagining a large star exploding and then recondensing into a stellar nursery. But I see now that novas and stellar nurseries are very different things.

Thank you for your thorough answer.

What is the origin of stars?

The origin of stars dates back to about 14 billion years ago, during the early stages of the universe. After the Big Bang, the universe was filled with hot, dense particles that eventually cooled and clumped together to form the first stars.

How do stars form?

Stars form from dense clouds of gas and dust known as nebulae. As gravity pulls the particles inwards, the cloud becomes denser and hotter, eventually reaching temperatures high enough for nuclear fusion to occur. This fusion of hydrogen atoms creates the energy that makes stars shine.

What is the life cycle of a star?

The life cycle of a star depends on its size. Small stars, like our Sun, will eventually run out of hydrogen fuel and expand into a red giant before collapsing into a dense white dwarf. Larger stars will go through several stages, including becoming red supergiants, before exploding in a supernova and leaving behind a neutron star or black hole.

How can we determine the age of a star?

Scientists can determine the age of a star by analyzing its mass, luminosity, and composition. Older stars tend to have lower mass and luminosity, and higher levels of heavy elements, as they have had more time to generate these elements through fusion. Additionally, the position of a star on the Hertzsprung-Russell diagram can also give clues about its age.

Why is studying the history of stars important?

Studying the history of stars allows scientists to better understand the processes that have shaped our universe and led to the creation of elements necessary for life. It also provides insight into the evolution of galaxies and the formation of planets, including our own. Furthermore, studying the life cycles of stars helps us predict the fate of our own Sun and understand the potential for habitable environments in the universe.