Bessel Function, Orthogonality and More

In summary, The conversation is about trying to show the relationship between two integrals, one involving Bessel functions and the other involving the square of a different Bessel function. The approach suggested is to expand each Bessel function into a power series and then integrate to show that the two integrals are equal. The link provided also offers a similar method, but the necessary modifications are not clear. Additional hints are requested.
Hello,
I'm trying to show that

Integral[x*J0(a*x)*J0(a*x), from 0 to 1] = 1/2 * J1(a)^2

Here, (both) a's are the same and they are a root of J0(x). I.e., J0(a) = 0.

I have found and can do the case where you have two different roots, a and b, and the integral evaluates to zero (orthogonality). How do I go about showing this relationship? I can't find details anywhere.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try expanding J0 in a power series, collect terms in like powers, and integrate. Then you can also expand the right side in a power series and show the two are equal.

Hi,
Sorry for my ignorance, but if expanding into a power series don't we have two infinite sums multiplied together? I attempted it but wasn't able to get anywhere nicely (maybe it's beyond me)

I was thinking something more along the lines of this:
http://physics.ucsc.edu/~peter/116C/bess_orthog.pdf
but I don't see the proper modifications that will give me my identity.

Any further hints would be amazing!

Why isn't equation 15 of the link you sent exactly what you are looking for?

Hello,

Thank you for your interest in Bessel functions and orthogonality. This is a very interesting and important topic in mathematics and physics.

To prove the relationship you have mentioned, we will start by using the definition of Bessel functions:

J0(x) = 1/pi * Integral[cos(x*cos(t))dt, from 0 to pi]

Now, let's use the identity cos(x) = (e^(ix) + e^(-ix))/2 and substitute it into the definition of J0(x):

J0(x) = 1/pi * Integral[(e^(ix*cos(t)) + e^(-ix*cos(t)))/2 dt, from 0 to pi]

Next, we will use the property of Bessel functions that J0(x) = J0(-x). This means that we can rewrite the integral as:

J0(x) = 1/pi * Integral[(e^(ix*cos(t)) + e^(-ix*cos(t)))/2 dt, from -pi/2 to pi/2]

Now, let's use the trigonometric identity cos(x)*cos(y) = (cos(x+y) + cos(x-y))/2 and substitute it into the integral:

J0(x) = 1/pi * Integral[(e^(ix*cos(t)) + e^(-ix*cos(t)))/2 dt, from -pi/2 to pi/2]

= 1/pi * Integral[(e^(ix*cos(t)+ix) + e^(ix*cos(t)-ix))/2 dt, from -pi/2 to pi/2]

= 1/pi * Integral[(e^(ix*cos(t)+ix) + e^(ix*cos(t)-ix))/2 dt, from 0 to pi]

= 1/pi * Integral[(e^(ix*cos(t)+ix) + e^(ix*cos(t)-ix))/2 * cos(t) dt, from 0 to pi]

= 1/2 * Integral[e^(ix*cos(t)+ix)*cos(t) dt, from 0 to pi] (using the property that J0(x) = J0(-x))

= 1/2 * Integral[e^(ix*cos(t)+ix)*cos(t) dt, from -pi/2 to pi/2]

= 1/2 * Integral[e^(ix*cos(t)+ix)*cos(t) dt, from -pi/2 to pi/2] +

1. How are Bessel functions defined?

Bessel functions are special mathematical functions that arise in solving problems involving cylindrical or spherical symmetries. They are defined as solutions to the Bessel differential equation, which can be written in the form of a power series or an integral representation.

2. What is the orthogonality property of Bessel functions?

The orthogonality property of Bessel functions states that if two Bessel functions have different orders, then their product is orthogonal over a certain interval. This means that the integral of the product of two Bessel functions over this interval is equal to zero.

3. What are some applications of Bessel functions?

Bessel functions have numerous applications in physics and engineering, such as solving problems involving heat conduction, electromagnetic waves, and fluid mechanics. They are also used in signal processing, image processing, and even in music theory.

4. Can Bessel functions take on complex values?

Yes, Bessel functions can take on complex values. They are defined and studied in the complex plane, and can be used to model oscillatory behavior in various systems. Bessel functions are also used in the study of special functions and complex analysis.

5. Are there any relationships between Bessel functions and other special functions?

Yes, Bessel functions are related to other special functions such as spherical Bessel functions, Hankel functions, and hypergeometric functions. These relationships are often used in solving differential equations and in mathematical physics.