Perfectly Elastic Collisions in 2 Dimensions with Round Objects

In summary, my friend is looking for a way to calculate the results of perfectly elastic collisions in 2 dimensions with perfectly round objects (curling stones in this case). He is familiar with the basic formula for the conservation of momentum, but he doesn't remember doing problems in which the objects are moving toward one another at strange angles. He has been trying to find decent resources for this, but he hasn't found much that is useful. If the objects are perfectly elastic, he can still use the method he is familiar with, but he needs to resolve the momentum into components (x and y) in order to find the angles and speeds. The general solution is to view a reference frame in which the center of masses of the objects is imm
pacojoe
My friend is programming a curling application for the Android. He needs a way of calculating the results of perfectly elastic collisions in 2 dimensions with perfectly round objects (curling stones in this case, naturally).

I know what the basic formula for the conservation of momentum is for perfectly elastic collisions, and I remember doing some problems with it in my college physics course, but I don't remember doing problems in which the objects are moving toward one another at strange angles.

All the problems that I remember doing with this involved one of the objects staying put while the other one ran into it. Come to think of it, I don't think we ever had to consider the effects that the curvature of the objects would have on one another.

I've been trying to find decent resources for this just by Googling it, but I haven't found much that's of any use.

Does anyone know where I can find this kind of information? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
If the objects are perfectly elastic you can still use the method you are familiar with, you just resolve the momentum into components (x and y)

That gives you angles and speeds, the only problem remaining is the purely geometric one of working out the position of the centre of each object at collision.

The general solution is to view a reference frame in which the center of masses of the objects is immobile, and then its the same as if they each hit an immovable wall at their point of contact.
[STRIKE]But in your case it is much simpler because you have two objects of equal mass and size, so they will just trade their velocities around. Each one starts to move in exactly the same way as the other was moving before the impact.[/STRIKE]
EDIT: I was wrong, oversimplifying it for a central collision. Sorry if I confused you with this.

Last edited:

1. What is a perfectly elastic collision?

A perfectly elastic collision is a type of collision between two objects where there is no loss of kinetic energy. This means that the total kinetic energy of the two objects before and after the collision remains the same.

2. How is a perfectly elastic collision different from an inelastic collision?

In an inelastic collision, there is a loss of kinetic energy due to the objects sticking together or being permanently deformed. In a perfectly elastic collision, the objects bounce off each other with no loss of kinetic energy.

3. Can perfectly elastic collisions occur in real life?

Perfectly elastic collisions are an idealized concept and cannot occur in real life. In reality, there will always be some loss of kinetic energy due to factors such as friction and heat.

4. What is the equation for calculating the velocities of two objects after a perfectly elastic collision?

The equation is: v1f = (m1 - m2)v1i + 2m2v2i / (m1 + m2) and v2f = (m2 - m1)v2i + 2m1v1i / (m1 + m2), where m is the mass of the object and vi and vf are the initial and final velocities, respectively.

5. How do round objects affect the outcome of a perfectly elastic collision?

Round objects, such as billiard balls, do not affect the outcome of a perfectly elastic collision as long as they are considered to be point masses. This means that their size and shape do not affect the collision as long as they are perfectly round and have the same mass distribution.