Power transmission lines in America

In summary, the conversation is about the possibility of obtaining maps of powerlines for offroading purposes. The speaker mentions that some powerlines are open to offroad vehicles while others are not. They also express concerns about the availability of such maps due to potential security risks. The conversation concludes with the suggestion to buy maps from the USGS and the mention of a program in Miami that has maps of various utilities but with restricted access.
megashawn
Science Advisor
I was just curious if anyone would know how I could go about getting maps of powerlines in various locations? Is it even possible to do so?

The reason I'm wondering is to find places to go riding. I know some powerlines are open to offroad vehicles, whereas others are not, or are on private property. I was hoping to find a map of some of the lines in my neighborhood so I could know what is and is not legal, plus get an idea how much riding there is to be done.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I doubt you'll find anything specific enough to be of help to you. Have you spent any time googling it?

You can buy maps from the USGS. I couldn't find anything free.

Hopefully this information is controlled a little; with terrorism in mind.

I think this is what you want: http://www.enermap.com/electric_map.html

so much for that theory! :biggrin:

Ivan Seeking said:

I would hope so to but :uhh: :uhh:

Ivan Seeking said:
You can buy maps from the USGS. I couldn't find anything free.

well they are kinda BIG and up in the air so eazy to spot

in Miami FP&L has ARC [program] maps of all kinds of stuff like powerlines , water, belltel, gas ect, plus esmts and R/W but access is restricted

1. What are power transmission lines?

Power transmission lines are large cables or wires that carry electricity from power plants to homes and businesses. They are an essential part of the electrical grid that provides us with reliable access to electricity.

2. How do power transmission lines work?

Power transmission lines work by using electromagnetic induction. This means that when electricity flows through the wires, it creates a magnetic field that induces a current in nearby wires. This current is then transported to its intended destination, such as a home or business.

3. What are the types of power transmission lines?

There are two main types of power transmission lines: overhead and underground. Overhead lines are the most common and can be seen above ground on tall metal towers. Underground lines, on the other hand, are buried underground and are often used in urban areas where space is limited.

4. How are power transmission lines maintained?

Power transmission lines require regular maintenance to ensure they are functioning properly and safely. This includes routine inspections, replacing worn or damaged parts, and trimming trees and vegetation near the lines to prevent power outages and fires.

5. What are the potential risks associated with power transmission lines?

Power transmission lines can pose risks to both human health and the environment. They can emit electromagnetic fields that may affect nearby residents, and they can also be a hazard for birds and other wildlife. In addition, power outages and fires can occur if the lines are not properly maintained or damaged by severe weather or other external factors.