Exploring Gravity-Independent Pendulum Clock Possibilities

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of constructing a pendulum clock with a period that is not influenced by the acceleration of gravity or changes in temperature. The speaker suggests using an alternate method instead of a pendulum, which is susceptible to these factors. They also mention the clocks designed by John Harrison in the late 1700s as a potential solution. The question of whether the speaker wants to overcome the effects of gravity and temperature on the value of square_root(g/L) is also raised.
Gavroy
Hey
I asked myself whether there are any possibilities to construct a pendulum clock, which period is independent of the acceleration of gravity, which may differ at different places, or the extension of the pendulum lenght, that is caused by different temperatures?

Engineering news on Phys.org
And? What answer did you give yourself?

well I have not a clue..that is why I want to ask you...

Well, the force of gravity and the length of the arm are pretty much the things that define the period of a pendulum, so if you are were hoping to build a clock without those things being constant, it pretty much couldn't use a pendulum.

Since those are things that a pendulum has as its weaknesses, why would you use a pendulum at all, instead of using an alternate method that is not susceptible to the very things that you plan to vary?

Gavroy said:
Hey
I asked myself whether there are any possibilities to construct a pendulum clock, which period is independent of the acceleration of gravity, which may differ at different places, or the extension of the pendulum lenght, that is caused by different temperatures?
Have you looked into the clocks designed in the mid to late 1700's by http://www.nmm.ac.uk/harrison" ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Gavroy said:
well I have not a clue..that is why I want to ask you...

Hi-
but the point is: do you want to have an idea on how to overcome to acc. gravity or thermal change on the value square_root(g/L) or what?

1. What is a gravity-independent pendulum clock?

A gravity-independent pendulum clock is a type of clock that does not rely on the force of gravity to function. Instead, it uses other forces such as magnetic, electric, or spring forces to keep time.

2. How does a gravity-independent pendulum clock work?

A gravity-independent pendulum clock works by utilizing a pendulum, which is a weight suspended from a pivot point that swings back and forth. The motion of the pendulum is regulated by a mechanism that keeps it moving at a constant rate, thus keeping time.

3. What are the advantages of a gravity-independent pendulum clock?

One advantage of a gravity-independent pendulum clock is that it is not affected by changes in gravitational force, making it more accurate in different environments. It also does not require a large and stable base, making it more portable.

4. Are there any disadvantages to using a gravity-independent pendulum clock?

One disadvantage is that the mechanism used to regulate the pendulum's motion can be more complex and require more maintenance. Additionally, these clocks may be more expensive compared to traditional gravity-based pendulum clocks.

5. Can gravity-independent pendulum clocks be used for scientific purposes?

Yes, gravity-independent pendulum clocks have been used in scientific experiments and studies, especially in microgravity environments where traditional clocks would not function accurately. They can also be used to study the effects of gravity on timekeeping.