Proof Involving Continuity, Irrational Numbers From Elementary Proof Class

In summary, the problem asks for the existence of a unique real number x such that the integral of a nonzero continuous function f(s) from 0 to x is equal to pi. To disprove this, we can either show that there are no real numbers that satisfy the equation, or that there are multiple real numbers that satisfy it. The definition of a nonzero function is that it is not constantly zero, and the definition of a continuous function is that it can be drawn without lifting your pencil. One example of a function that would not satisfy the equation is -[(s^2 +1)^2], as there are no real numbers that would make the integral of this function equal to pi.
snackAtacck

Homework Statement

Let f be a non-zero continuous function. Prove or disprove that there exists a unique, real number, x, such that the integral from 0 to x of f(s) w.r.t. s = pi.

Homework Equations

If any exist, please let me know.

The Attempt at a Solution

[PLAIN]http://img2.imageshack.us/img2/5021/bonusk.png

I've come to the conclusion that I set up the problem completely wrong, as I did not notice the existence qualifier was unique. Still, to disprove it comes down to showing that there do not exist any real numbers that satisfy the equation, or showing that there are more than one.

The thing is, I'm not entirely sure of what "non-zero" means. I thought it meant that the function cannot literally be a constant 0 for all inputs, but a classmate of mine has insisted that a function is only non-zero if none of its values are zero.

Anyway, I don't see why letting -[(s^2 +1)^2] be the value of the integral and then finding the corresponding functions for f(s) wouldn't work as an example of a function for which that integral will never be equal to pi. We'd have an example for which all x in R would fail to make the integral of f(s) = pi.

I think that I could figure this one out if I only knew what "non-zero" and "continuous" meant.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
A function is nonzero if it is not constant zero. So for example the function 2x is nonzero, although it has a value where it evaluates to zero.

As for your attempt of proof, I think you've got it correct.

1. What is continuity?

Continuity is a mathematical concept that refers to the quality of a function being uninterrupted or unbroken. In other words, a function is continuous if there are no abrupt changes or breaks in its graph.

2. How do you prove continuity using the epsilon-delta definition?

In order to prove continuity using the epsilon-delta definition, you must show that for any given epsilon (ε), there exists a delta (δ) such that if the distance between the input values of a function is less than delta, then the distance between the output values is less than epsilon.

3. Can irrational numbers be continuous?

Yes, irrational numbers can be continuous. The continuity of a function does not depend on the type of numbers it is defined on, but rather on the behavior of the function itself.

4. How do you prove that a number is irrational?

A number is considered irrational if it cannot be expressed as a ratio of two integers. To prove that a number is irrational, one can use a proof by contradiction, assuming that the number can be expressed as a ratio and then showing that this leads to a contradiction.

5. What is an elementary proof?

An elementary proof is a proof that uses only basic mathematical concepts and techniques, without relying on more advanced or complex theories. It is often used to introduce students to mathematical concepts and to help them develop their problem-solving skills.