Buying a Laser Pointer: What Can It Do?

In summary, a laser pointer with a wavelength of 532nm can burn through things like paper and balloons, and a wavelength of 405nm is better for pointing at things.
brewAP2010
I recently bought a laser pointer offline, it claims to be able to reach up to 12 miles, and from what I can tell it is pretty strong. It says the max output power is < 5mW, and the wavelenght is 532nm. Its just a regular laser pointer, and I was wondering if there are lasers that you can buy (legally) that could like burn through stuff, or maybe pop balloons or something cool like that? And what does the wavelength only affect the color or does it play a factor in the actual strength of the laser?

Science news on Phys.org
brewAP2010 said:
I recently bought a laser pointer offline, it claims to be able to reach up to 12 miles
It reaches for ever if you have a good enough detector!

Its just a regular laser pointer, and I was wondering if there are lasers that you can buy (legally) that could like burn through stuff, or maybe pop balloons or something cool like that?
Depends where you live, importing laser pointers > class I (ie more than 5mW) into the US is restricted.

And what does the wavelength only affect the color or does it play a factor in the actual strength of the laser?
The wavelength is the color, the brightness you get at a particular power depends on the color because it depends on the sensitivity of your eye - that's why green looks so bright.
The power you can get at each wavelength also depends on engineering details

I will mention something here that some people might not realize, since it has been done as a "joke" in the past. DO NOT EVER AIM ONE OF THOSE THINGS AT AN AIRCRAFT! Not only is it stupid and dangerous, but it is also considered an act of terrorism in both the US and Canada. You can be locked up for the rest of your life if caught.

5mW isn't strong for most lasers sold as "pointers" but it is decent for use as one to point at near objects. Burning lasers are in the 100s of milliwatts range but it also depends on the type of laser (wavelength, beam diameter, divergence). Divergence means the beam is more in the shape of a long cone than a cylinder so it's light concentration varies with distance from the laser. Green lasers have a tighter beam so their power is more concentrated. Red lasers have a wider beam and it diverges more so it needs to be focused to a smaller point with a lens like you would with sunlight and a magnifying glass.

The color of the beam itself is also important to what you want to burn. When light shines on an object, it absorbs some wavelengths and it heats up but it also reflects other wavelengths and the reflected light is what determines its colour. Another reason you'll want it to reflect less is that you don't want any of that light in your eye (always wear goggles anyway). A light blue object will absorb redder wavelengths from white light and reflect the rest so a 650nm laser will burn it more efficiently. A purple object will absorb green wavelengths and reflect red and blue wavelengths from both ends of the spectrum so a 532nm laser would be best there. Black objects absorb all the light so it's ideal for any laser.

A little more info about the colour of the beam: "Blue" lasers rated at 405nm are actually a violet colour and at the same power rating, they are a lot dimmer than green lasers but are more dangerous. The eye detects wavelengths at different efficiencies.

brewAP2010 said:
I recently bought a laser pointer offline, it claims to be able to reach up to 12 miles, and from what I can tell it is pretty strong. It says the max output power is < 5mW, and the wavelenght is 532nm. Its just a regular laser pointer, and I was wondering if there are lasers that you can buy (legally) that could like burn through stuff, or maybe pop balloons or something cool like that? And what does the wavelength only affect the color or does it play a factor in the actual strength of the laser?

1) Yes you can buy them, generally online. You will need >80mW to burn things, though. Snooping inside of packages is rare, so there is a good chance it will get to you. A quality manufacturer is www.dragonlasers.com[/url]. If you are interested in these things at all, check out [url]www.laserpointerforums.com[/URL].

2) Wavelength only affects colour.

Wear safety goggles, and have fun!

Last edited by a moderator:
I sometimes wonder if I'm the only guy with a nostalgic love for the ruby pulse laser. I learned how to build one of those in 1968, and it's still my favourite.

NobodySpecial said:
Or the famed 'Gin and tonic' laser - http://www.opnmagazine-digital.com/opn/200905/?pg=16#pg16

That looks like an interesting article, but right now I have my "Accessibility" settings turned off, so I can't read it. After I'm through with PF for the night, I'll reset them and revisit the post with the text expanded.

Danger said:
DO NOT EVER AIM ONE OF THOSE THINGS AT AN AIRCRAFT! Not only is it stupid and dangerous, but it is also considered an act of terrorism in both the US and Canada. You can be locked up for the rest of your life if caught.

I actually read something about a guy that did that and the authorities found, and arrested him, so I'm pretty cautious about shining it in the sky.

Pianoman14 said:
1)

2) Wavelength only affects colour.

That's what I thought, but then do they make them different colors to denote the strenght of the laser even though it is unrelated?

hl_world said:
5mW isn't strong for most lasers sold as "pointers" but it is decent for use as one to point at near objects. Burning lasers are in the 100s of milliwatts range but it also depends on the type of laser (wavelength, beam diameter, divergence). Divergence means the beam is more in the shape of a long cone than a cylinder so it's light concentration varies with distance from the laser. Green lasers have a tighter beam so their power is more concentrated. Red lasers have a wider beam and it diverges more so it needs to be focused to a smaller point with a lens like you would with sunlight and a magnifying glass.

The color of the beam itself is also important to what you want to burn. When light shines on an object, it absorbs some wavelengths and it heats up but it also reflects other wavelengths and the reflected light is what determines its colour. Another reason you'll want it to reflect less is that you don't want any of that light in your eye (always wear goggles anyway). A light blue object will absorb redder wavelengths from white light and reflect the rest so a 650nm laser will burn it more efficiently. A purple object will absorb green wavelengths and reflect red and blue wavelengths from both ends of the spectrum so a 532nm laser would be best there. Black objects absorb all the light so it's ideal for any laser.

A little more info about the colour of the beam: "Blue" lasers rated at 405nm are actually a violet colour and at the same power rating, they are a lot dimmer than green lasers but are more dangerous. The eye detects wavelengths at different efficiencies.

ok I didn't know that thank you so much.

brewAP2010 said:
That's what I thought, but then do they make them different colors to denote the strenght of the laser even though it is unrelated?

Nope. You can get strong or weak lasers in any of the available colors, though some are easier to make than others. Also, at a given power, green lasers will look the brightest, since they are the color your eye is most sensitive to.

Ok thanks...yea the one that I have seems to be super bright. If I shine it on like a white wall its almost hard to look at, and what's pretty cool is that when it is dark enough you can see the entire beam.

Yep - a 5mW green laser pointer will be very, very bright, while a 5mW red will seem relatively dim. A 5mW violet (405nm) laser is quite dim, dimmer even than the red (even though all of them are outputting the same amount of power).

ok thanks a lot for the help

1. What is the purpose of a laser pointer?

A laser pointer is a small handheld device that emits a narrow beam of light. It is commonly used for pointing out objects or locations during presentations, lectures, or demonstrations.

2. Can a laser pointer be used for anything other than pointing?

Aside from its main purpose of pointing, a laser pointer can also be used for entertainment, such as playing with pets, creating light shows, or illuminating objects in low light environments. However, it is important to use it responsibly and not point it at people or animals' eyes as it can cause harm.

3. Are there different types of laser pointers?

Yes, there are different types of laser pointers based on their output power and color. The most common type is the red laser pointer, but there are also green, blue, and purple ones. The output power can range from less than 1 milliwatt (mW) to more than 1000 mW.

4. What are the safety precautions when using a laser pointer?

It is important to never shine a laser pointer directly into anyone's eyes. It can cause temporary or permanent damage to the retina. Also, avoid pointing it at reflective surfaces or passing aircrafts. It is recommended to use laser pointers with output power of 5 mW or less to reduce potential hazards.

5. Are there any restrictions for buying a laser pointer?

In some countries, there are restrictions on the sale and use of laser pointers, especially those with high output power. It is important to check your local laws and regulations before purchasing one. Additionally, some establishments may have their own policies on the use of laser pointers, so it is best to ask for permission before using it in public spaces.