Stuck with integration of differential equation by seperation of variables

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the solution to the differential equation dy/dx=-ylny/x with initial condition y(x=1)=1. The solution is found by setting u=ln(y) and solving for u, then substituting back in for y. The final equation is ln(ln(y))+ln(x)+1=0, which can be rearranged to solve for y explicitly.
dooogle

Homework Statement

dy/dx=-ylny/x initial conditions y(x=1)=1

express answer in the form f(x,y)=0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i let u=ln y

du/dy=1/y

y*du=dy

subbing into equation gives int(y/yu du)=-int dx

which is equal to int(1/u du)=-int(1/x) dx

ln (u)=-ln (x) +c

subbing back in for u gives ln(ln (y))=-ln (x)+c

ln (y)=1/x +c

when x= 1 y=1

ln(1)=1/1 +c

0=1+c

c=-1

equation becomes ln(ln(y))=-ln(x)+c

rearranging (here I am concerned that i make a mistake but I am not sure)

ln(ln(y))+ln(x)+1=0

thank you for your time

dooogle

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like you used c to mean two different things near the end. You need to fix that.

You could solve for y explicitly in terms of x and plug that back into the original equation to verify it's a solution.

1. What is the purpose of using separation of variables in differential equations?

The purpose of using separation of variables is to simplify the process of solving a differential equation by breaking it down into two separate equations that can be solved independently. This method is particularly useful for solving linear first-order differential equations.

2. How do you determine the constants of integration in separation of variables?

The constants of integration are determined by using initial conditions or boundary conditions that are given in the problem. These conditions are often in the form of values for the dependent variable at a certain point or points in the domain of the equation.

3. Can separation of variables be used for all types of differential equations?

No, separation of variables can only be used for certain types of differential equations, specifically linear first-order equations. It is not applicable to nonlinear equations or higher-order equations. In these cases, other methods such as substitution or integration by parts may be necessary.

4. What are the limitations of using separation of variables?

One limitation of separation of variables is that it can only be used for equations that can be written in a separable form, where the variables can be separated on opposite sides of the equation. Additionally, it may not always be possible to find an explicit solution using separation of variables, and numerical methods may be needed instead.

5. How can I check if my solution obtained through separation of variables is correct?

You can check the validity of your solution by substituting it back into the original differential equation and seeing if it satisfies the equation. You can also check the solution graphically by plotting it and comparing it to the given initial or boundary conditions.