Angular velocity of a conical pendulum in rpm

In summary, the conversation discusses the formation of a conical pendulum and how to find the ball's angular velocity in rpm. The equation v=\sqrt{}L*g*sin(\vartheta)*tan(\vartheta) is used to find the tangential velocity, but the resulting answer of 327.5 rpm is incorrect. The conversation ends with a suggestion to double check the angle used in the equation.
kerbyjonsonjr

Homework Statement

A conical pendulum is formed by attaching a 0.900 kg ball to a 1.00 m long string, then allowing the mass to move in a horizontal circle of radius 20.0 cm . What is the ball's angular velocity, in rpm?

Homework Equations

v=[tex]\sqrt{}L*g*sin(\vartheta)*tan(\vartheta)[/tex]
w=v/r

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the radius is .2 m and the length of the string is 1m I used cos([tex]\vartheta) [/tex] and found [tex]\vartheta[/tex] to be 78.46 degrees. Then I used that equation for tangential velocity so I had v=[tex]\sqrt{}1*9.81*sin(78.46)*tan(78.46)[/tex] and got v=6.86 m/s so then I used w=v/r and got w=34.3 rad/sec which I then converted to rpm by multiplying 34.3 by 60 seconds times 1 rev/2[tex]\pi[/tex] and got 327.5 rpm and that is wrong. I don't know where I went wrong. I greatly appreciate any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
kerbyjonsonjr said:

Homework Statement

A conical pendulum is formed by attaching a 0.900 kg ball to a 1.00 m long string, then allowing the mass to move in a horizontal circle of radius 20.0 cm . What is the ball's angular velocity, in rpm?

Homework Equations

v=[tex]\sqrt{}L*g*sin(\vartheta)*tan(\vartheta)[/tex]
w=v/r

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the radius is .2 m and the length of the string is 1m I used cos([tex]\vartheta) [/tex] and found [tex]\vartheta[/tex] to be 78.46 degrees. Then I used that equation for tangential velocity so I had v=[tex]\sqrt{}1*9.81*sin(78.46)*tan(78.46)[/tex] and got v=6.86 m/s so then I used w=v/r and got w=34.3 rad/sec which I then converted to rpm by multiplying 34.3 by 60 seconds times 1 rev/2[tex]\pi[/tex] and got 327.5 rpm and that is wrong. I don't know where I went wrong. I greatly appreciate any help.

I don't think you have the right angle. Double check how you got that.

1. What is the formula for calculating the angular velocity of a conical pendulum in rpm?

The formula for calculating the angular velocity of a conical pendulum in rpm is:
ω = (2π * n) / (60 * cosθ)
Where ω is the angular velocity in rpm, n is the number of revolutions per minute, and θ is the angle between the string and the vertical axis.

2. How does the length of the string affect the angular velocity of a conical pendulum?

The length of the string does not directly affect the angular velocity of a conical pendulum. However, a longer string will result in a larger radius of motion, which will in turn affect the period and frequency of the pendulum.

3. What factors influence the angular velocity of a conical pendulum?

The angular velocity of a conical pendulum is influenced by the length of the string, the angle between the string and the vertical axis, and the gravitational acceleration. Other factors such as air resistance and friction may also have an impact on the angular velocity.

4. How is the angular velocity of a conical pendulum related to its period and frequency?

The angular velocity of a conical pendulum is directly related to its period and frequency. The period is the time it takes for the pendulum to complete one full revolution, and the frequency is the number of revolutions per unit time. As the angular velocity increases, the period and frequency will also increase.

5. Can the angular velocity of a conical pendulum be negative?

Yes, the angular velocity of a conical pendulum can be negative. This would occur if the pendulum is moving in the opposite direction of the initial rotation, and is typically seen when the pendulum has completed one full revolution and begins to rotate in the opposite direction.