Is Becoming a High School Physics Teacher Right for Me?

In summary, Luke is considering leaving grad school because he doesn't enjoy it, and is looking for alternate career options. He is considering becoming a high school physics teacher, but is worried about his lack of teaching experience. He is also considering getting an alt-certification to teach without a teaching credential. He is worried about the cost of getting the certification, and whether or not there are any scholarships available.
Cluelessluke
Hey there! My name is Luke and I got my bachelors in BS Physics last year (along with a math minor). I am enrolled in grad school but I'm starting to feel it might not be for me. So I'm trying to think of career alternatives. What sounds very interesting and rewarding is becoming a high school physics teacher.

However, I have no educational background (besides TAing undergraduate physics labs). So, I would need to go back to school and get my education license.

I'm saying all this because I'm curious if anyone has had any experience with this whole going back to school to get an education license and/or having a grad school "falling out". Any advice or personal experiences related to this would be greatly GREATLY appreciated. Thanks so much for your time!

Luke

Physics news on Phys.org
You can probably get an alt-cert for teaching physics if you have the undergrad degree, and leave grad school with a masters.

You should also keep in mind that many high schools no longer have a dedicated physics teacher, but instead a general science teacher. Would you be happy teaching biology? Chemistry? I'd suggest contacting your local district, and seeing if you can pick up some shifts as a substitute.

Why do you suggest leaving with a masters? Is it hard to get an alt-cert with a PhD? Or maybe high schools will feel you're overqualified with a PhD?

As long as the school doesn't mind that I have little Biology/Chemistry experience, I wouldn't mind teaching them as long as I also get to teach physics :)

Also, are there scholarships that exist with alt-cert so I wouldn't have to pay as much out of pocket to get that certification?

Also keep in mind that many private schools do not require teaching certification. I, for one, very much want to teach math and physics in high school, AND I have no intention whatsoever of getting a teaching credential.

Hi Luke,

I can understand your interest in becoming a high school physics teacher. It can be a very rewarding career, especially if you have a passion for teaching and sharing your knowledge with others. Going back to school to get an education license is a great idea, as it will provide you with the necessary skills and knowledge to effectively teach in a high school setting.

I can tell you that teaching high school physics requires a strong understanding of the subject matter, as well as effective communication and teaching skills. Your background in physics and math will definitely be an advantage in this field, but it is important to also gain knowledge and experience in education and pedagogy.

I have not personally gone through the process of getting an education license, but I have worked with many teachers who have. It can be a challenging journey, but it is definitely worth it in the end. My advice would be to research different education programs and find one that best fits your needs and goals. Also, try to gain some experience in a classroom setting, whether through volunteering or shadowing a teacher, to get a better understanding of what the job entails.

Overall, I think it is great that you are considering a career in teaching high school physics and I wish you the best of luck in your journey. It takes a lot of dedication and hard work, but it can be a fulfilling and meaningful career. Feel free to reach out to me if you have any further questions or would like to discuss this further. Best of luck to you!

1. What qualifications are needed to teach high school physics?

To teach high school physics, you typically need to have a bachelor's degree in physics or a related field, as well as a teaching certification or license in the state where you will be teaching. Some schools may also require a master's degree in education or a specific number of education credits in addition to a physics degree.

2. What topics are typically covered in a high school physics curriculum?

A high school physics curriculum typically covers topics such as mechanics, energy, waves, electricity and magnetism, and modern physics. Students may also learn about topics such as thermodynamics, optics, and nuclear physics.

3. How do you engage students and make physics interesting and relevant to their lives?

Engaging students in physics can be done by incorporating real-world examples and applications into lessons, using hands-on experiments and activities, and incorporating technology such as simulations and videos. It's also important to make connections between physics concepts and everyday experiences, showing students how physics relates to their lives and the world around them.

4. What resources are available to help teach high school physics?

There are many resources available to help teach high school physics, including textbooks, online resources and simulations, educational videos, and professional development opportunities for teachers. Many schools also have physics teachers collaborate and share resources with one another.

5. How do you assess student understanding and progress in high school physics?

Assessment in high school physics can include a variety of methods, such as written tests, lab reports, and projects. Teachers may also use quizzes, class discussions, and observations to gauge student understanding and progress. It's important to use a combination of formative and summative assessments to get a well-rounded understanding of students' knowledge and skills in physics.