Contemplating between computer sciences and electronics

In summary, if you want to be a theoretical physicist, you should take computer sciences, as well as physics and mathematics.
vhbelvadi
The basic idea: I'm entering undergrad, I want to be a theoretical (astro)physicist, that is to say I may deviate towards nuclear physics at a later time, though the chances are quite slim.

Where I study, we need to opt for three subjects spread over six semesters each and without doubt I have physics and mathematics. But it is this third subject that is bothering me.

A while ago I read https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=240792" that have made me enlightened! (If you haven't, you should!) And I learned from there that it helps to know especially FORTRAN and C alongside Numerical Analysis.

My dilemma is whether I should take electronics or computer sciences. The basic idea is that, in electronics, we can expect to learn about transistors, logic gates, ICs and stuff along those lines. I already have a basic idea about these from high school.

In computer sciences we start off with C, C++ and eventually go up to JAVA. While I am interested in this, I'm really unsure as to which of these will help me in the future. I have no knowledge of C or C++ and I thought I'd spend time learning that here.

I need advices and I need them within the next few hours because I have to declare the subjects today!

Thank you for your patience and replies in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I am not sure how much you can get out of a computer science class at the moment. Personally I need to enter a class because it is the only way to test my knowledge. I still read and learn outside the classroom.

Scientific computing? Look into applied mathematics (with computational...). You can learn C++ and Java right now on the Internet.

I will not declare a major / a minor until you have taken an introduction to computer science. I assume your school teach C++ in that class.

As far as what you can get out of computer science... computer science major learns about switching system too (logic gates, binary, flipflop). If you know those things already then don't waste time taking electronics.
You would probably want to finish data structure and algorithm from CS. Numerical method too.

If you want to begin learning C++, go here:
http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/

I am always torn between applied mathematics and computer science, because I like analysis part (once I spent a few nights to compute the square root of two, which was a CS assignment).

@jwxie, thanks a lot.
So I suppose the scale tips towards computers as far as I'm concerned. I spent a year on switching systems and all other basic electronics stuff so I think I would not be needing much beyond that for my physics career.
It would help, therefore, to study some computer sciences and keep up with electronics outside class.
And thank you for the link, I spent some time there and I think I'll keep returning at least till I'm through with C++!
Thank you once again!

1. What is the difference between computer science and electronics?

Computer science focuses on the study of computers and computational systems, including algorithms, programming languages, and software development. Electronics, on the other hand, deals with the study of electronic circuits and devices, such as transistors, diodes, and microchips. While both fields involve technology, they have different focuses and applications.

2. Which field has better job prospects?

Both computer science and electronics have a high demand for professionals in various industries. However, computer science has a wider range of job opportunities, including software development, data analysis, and information technology. Electronics, on the other hand, is more specialized and often involves working in industries such as telecommunications, consumer electronics, and automotive.

3. Can I study both computer science and electronics?

Yes, many universities offer joint or dual degree programs in computer science and electronics. These programs allow students to gain a comprehensive understanding of both fields and can lead to a wide range of career opportunities.

4. Which field is more technically challenging?

This depends on individual strengths and interests. Computer science can be challenging in terms of understanding complex algorithms and programming languages, while electronics requires a strong understanding of circuit design and electronic components. Both fields require a high level of technical skills and problem-solving abilities.

5. What are the future prospects for these fields?

The future prospects for both computer science and electronics are promising. With the rapid advancement of technology, there is a growing demand for professionals in both fields. Additionally, the integration of computer science and electronics, such as in the field of IoT (Internet of Things), is expected to create even more job opportunities in the future.