How much land does a man need?

• Thread starter Bipolarity
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discussed the isoperimetric problem of a man trying to enclose the most land in a limited amount of time. The solution is a circle according to the isoperimetric inequality. The conversation also mentioned other possible proofs using calculus of variations and Fourier series. The topic falls under the branch of mathematics known as calculus of variations. The conversation also touched on the idea of uncertainty in the runner's speed and how it affects the optimal path. Lastly, the conversation briefly mentioned the idea of varying land values and how it may affect the optimal path.
Bipolarity
So the story by Leo Tolstoy goes, that a man has a limited amount to time to run a closed loop in an open field and when the time is up, he will get all the land that he has enclosed. If he cannot run an enclosed loop, then he will get nothing.

Suppose that the man has a fixed speed that he runs at, and which he has already calculated. What shape could he run in so that he could get the most land possible? I would imagine a circle, but there are infinite possible shapes with all sorts of twists and turns so I can't prove my answer, but was wondering if someone here knew the proof or even whether a solution actually exists?

What branch of mathematics would this fall under? Calculus of variations?

Circle sounds quite elegant though.

BiP

Mathematics news on Phys.org
This reminds me of the "Running Grant". In early North American colonial days, settlers negotiated with a local American Indian tribe for the property along a river in the Pennsylvania colony. The land was to be from the river to the hills and as far along the river as a man could run in one day. The European settlers "chose" to interpret "a day" as 24 hours, graded a path along the river, brought in a trained runner, and had runners with torches for short stretches during the night.

Of course, later, it turned out that it was another tribe that claimed that land.

I wonder what the optimal shape would be depending on his certitude about how fast he runs... (the circle being the case for the absolute certitude)

mr. vodka said:
I wonder what the optimal shape would be depending on his certitude about how fast he runs... (the circle being the case for the absolute certitude)

Why would it change the result?

BiP

Because if you're not exactly sure about how fast you run, you can't know how much distance you can traverse in the allotted time, hence it's no longer an isoperimetric problem. Intuitively, you would like to allow the possibility of closing the loop earlier than expected (if it turns out time is running out), so maybe (again, intuitively) the path would be flatter.

But anyway, I'm sorry for the irrelevant excursion, it isn't what you asked.

It's ok, the original problem is closely related.
So let's suppose that the speed of the runner ranges anywhere from 0 to x where any value between 0 and x has uniform probability. Let's assume that this speed remains the same throughout the problem but the runner can never be exactly sure what it equals.

If the runner assumes that his/her speed is x/2, then he will complete the loop with 50% probability but the loop will be quite large. If the runner gambles for larger speed, the loop will be larger but the probability that he will complete the loop is reduced.

Then the ultimate measure of the technique should be the size of the loop multiplied by the probability that he completes the loop? Or can we find a better measure of the technique's effectiveness?

One thing to realize is that the runner will try to complete the loop if he sees that time is not enough. In other words, he would become certain of his velocity as he runs which greatly complicates the problem.

BiP

One thing to realize is that the runner will try to complete the loop if he sees that time is not enough. In other words, he would become certain of his velocity as he runs which greatly complicates the problem.

This is where the problem is not ill-defined. How certain does he become of his velocity? If with 1 minutes left he can go 'oh shoot I'm slower than I thought, better close up the loop now" why couldn't he do that 10 seconds into the race and re-adjust the route to make it a smaller circle. The details of how well he knows his speed and his position at each point in time need to be fleshed out

I don't see a real problem: the probability distribution (or maybe a better word is ignorance distribution if we presume that his velocity is constant but simply unknown; another option is taking a genuine probability distribution, like brownian motion) of his velocity is constant in time, but at each moment in time he recalculates the optimal path based on both this given distribution and the remaining time. Am I overlooking something?

In the story, the land gets more valuable as he gets further from his starting point.
So let's assume he knows his speed, can travel it consistently, and travels 1 unit in a day.
Now if the value of the land is given by v(x,y) = 1, we agree a circle is the best path.
But what if v(x,y) = y? or v(x,y) = sqrt(x^2+y^2)?

I found an approximation of the optimized path when the land value increases linearly as you go east. Finding an exact function won't be so easy.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-10-11 at 1.49.50 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-10-11 at 1.49.50 AM.png
    4.2 KB · Views: 468

1. How is the amount of land needed determined?

The amount of land needed is determined by factors such as the individual's lifestyle and needs, as well as the availability and quality of the land. It also depends on whether the land will be used for personal or commercial purposes.

2. Is there a specific amount of land that is considered "enough" for a man?

No, the amount of land considered "enough" for a man varies greatly depending on cultural and societal norms, as well as personal preferences. Some may consider a few acres to be enough, while others may desire hundreds or even thousands of acres.

3. How does the amount of land needed differ between rural and urban areas?

In general, individuals living in urban areas may require less land compared to those living in rural areas. This is because urban areas typically have access to more resources and amenities, making it possible to live comfortably on smaller plots of land.

4. Can a man have too much land?

It is possible for a man to have more land than he needs, depending on his lifestyle and purpose for the land. Owning too much land can also come with maintenance and financial burdens, making it unsustainable in the long run.

5. What are the potential consequences of having too little land?

Having too little land can limit an individual's ability to provide for themselves and their family. It can also lead to overcrowding and lack of resources, depending on the location. Additionally, it may restrict opportunities for expansion and growth in the future.