Calculate Dead Load of Beam w/ Solid Square Cross Section

In summary, given a beam with a solid square cross section of 100mm and two supports 3m apart, the calculation for the dead load that can be safely supported when applied to the middle of the beam is dependent on the properties of the material. The area of the square is 10,000mm2, the volume is 0.0300m3, and the unit weight of material is assumed to be 24KN/m3. However, the calculation provided (dead load = 0.0300m3 x 24KN/m3) is incorrect as it only determines the weight of the beam itself. The correct calculation for the dead load would involve adding an extra load on top of the beam, based on
sperrya

Homework Statement

A beam has a solid square cross section of 100mm and is simply supported by two supports 3m apart. Calculate the dead load that can be safely supported when applied to the middle of the beam.

Homework Equations

Solid square cross section of beam: 100mm
Material: unknown
Distance between two beams: 3m
Assumption: material is reinforced concrete
weight of material: 24KN/m3

Area of square = height x width

volume = area of solid x length

dead load = volume x unit weight of material

The Attempt at a Solution

area of square = 100mm x 100mm = 10,000mm2 (0.0100m2)

volume = 0.0100m2 x 3m = 0.0300m3

dead load = 0.0300m3 x 24KN/m3 = 0.72KNVm3

∴ dead load = 0.72KNVm3 / m3 = 720N

Can someone please tell me where I am going wrong with this as I have been advised this is wrong but I don't know where.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
hi sperrya! :smile:
sperrya said:
A beam has a solid square cross section of 100mm and is simply supported by two supports 3m apart. Calculate the dead load that can be safely supported when applied to the middle of the beam.
dead load = 0.0300m3 x 24KN/m3 = 0.72KNVm3

no, that's not a dead load, that's the weight of the beam

a "dead" load is an extra load on top of the beam (in this case, at its middle) …

what are the properties of the material of the beam that determine how much extra load can be supported? :wink:

1. How do you calculate the dead load of a beam with a solid square cross section?

To calculate the dead load of a beam with a solid square cross section, you will need to know the dimensions of the beam (length, width, and height) and the material it is made of. Then, you can use the formula Dead Load = Density x Volume to determine the dead load of the beam. The density of the material can be found in engineering handbooks or online databases.

2. What is considered the "dead load" of a beam?

The dead load of a beam refers to the weight of the structure itself and any permanent fixtures or components attached to it. This includes the weight of the beam, any flooring or roofing materials, and any other structural elements that are not subject to change or movement.

3. Can I use the same formula to calculate the dead load of beams with different cross sections?

Yes, the formula Dead Load = Density x Volume can be used for beams with different cross sections as long as you have the dimensions and material density. However, keep in mind that the shape and size of the cross section will affect the weight distribution and may require additional calculations for accurate results.

4. How do I determine the density of the material for my beam?

The density of a material can be found in engineering handbooks or online databases. You can also contact the manufacturer or supplier of the material for this information. It is important to use the correct density value for accurate calculations.

5. Why is it important to calculate the dead load of a beam?

Calculating the dead load of a beam is important for structural design and safety purposes. It helps ensure that the beam can support its own weight and any additional permanent loads without failure. This information is crucial for engineers and architects when designing buildings and structures to meet safety and building code requirements.