Quick question on the characteristic of a ring.

In summary, a ring is a mathematical structure with a set of elements and two binary operations of addition and multiplication. Its characteristics include being associative, commutative, and having an identity element for both operations. The associative property means that the order of operations does not affect the result, while commutative means the order of elements does not affect the result. The identity element is an element in a ring that returns the same element when used in an operation. A ring can have only one identity element for each operation.
jmjlt88
I was looking back at a proof I did a while ago. Suppose na=0 with n≠0 and a≠0. Then n is a multiple of the characteristic. I supposed p < n is our characteristic, then I simply used the divison algorithm (I divided n by p) and the distributive property which lead to the remainder being 0. From there, I concluded the desired result. I don't want to bore anyone with the details, but does that seem like a valid approach.

Thanks! :shy:

Physics news on Phys.org
Seems ok!

What is a ring and what are its characteristics?

A ring is a mathematical structure that consists of a set of elements and two binary operations of addition and multiplication. Its characteristics include being associative, commutative, and having an identity element for both operations.

What is the associative property of a ring?

The associative property means that the order in which the operations are performed does not affect the result. In other words, (a + b) + c = a + (b + c) and (a * b) * c = a * (b * c) for all elements a, b, and c in the ring.

What does it mean for a ring to be commutative?

A commutative ring is one in which the order of the elements does not affect the result of the operations. In other words, a + b = b + a and a * b = b * a for all elements a and b in the ring.

What is the identity element in a ring?

The identity element is an element in a ring that when used in an operation with any other element, returns that same element. For addition, the identity element is 0, and for multiplication, it is 1.

Can a ring have more than one identity element?

No, a ring can have only one identity element for each operation. This is because if there were multiple identity elements, the operation would not be well-defined and would violate the properties of a ring.