Grounded conducting cylinder using Laplace

In summary, the problem involves applying Laplace's equation solution in cylindrical coordinates to a grounded conducting cylinder of radius a in a uniform external field. The potential V(r) and induced surface charge need to be found using separation of variables and boundary conditions, specifically V(a) = 0. Two integration constants will need to be fixed in the process.
meteorologist1
Hi, I'm having trouble applying Laplace's equation solution in cylindrical coordinates to the problem of the grounded conducting cylinder of radius a in a uniform external field. The cylinder axis is the z axis, and the external electric field is E0 in the x direction. I need to find the potential V(r) and the induced surface charge. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
What did u do exactly,did u separate variables and got ODE-s for all three variables...?

Daniel.

My professor in class said to use separation of variables.

[tex] \Phi = \Phi(\rho, \phi, z) [/tex]
[tex] \nabla^2\Phi = \frac{1}{\rho} \frac{\partial}{\partial\rho} (\rho\frac{d\Phi}{d\rho}) + \frac{1}{\rho^2}\frac{\partial^2\Phi}{\partial\phi^2} + \frac{\partial^2\Phi}{\partial z^2}[/tex]
which is the Laplace's Equation in cylindrical coordinates. And I think he said that we can ignore the z term because this case is z independent.

Then I'm not sure how to obtain the solutions to this equation. And after I get the solutions, how do I apply it to this problem?

Well,u have to come up with so-called limit conditions.The general solution will not be good for anything,if u can't use the limit conditions...

Daniel.

I think we call them boundary conditions. Well in this case, since the cylindrical conductor is grounded, the limit condition must be that V(a) = 0.

Okay,then,separate varaibles and integrate each equation.Though i think you may need another condition.You must fix 2 integraton constants,after all...

Daniel.

1. What is a grounded conducting cylinder?

A grounded conducting cylinder is a hollow, cylindrical object made of a material that allows electricity to flow through it easily. The term "grounded" means that it is connected to the Earth, allowing excess electrical charges to be dissipated.

2. What is the Laplace equation?

The Laplace equation is a mathematical equation that describes the distribution of electric potential inside a conducting cylinder. It takes into account the shape and dimensions of the cylinder, as well as the surrounding electric fields.

3. How is the Laplace equation used in studying grounded conducting cylinders?

The Laplace equation is used to determine the electric potential at any point inside a grounded conducting cylinder. This information is useful in understanding the behavior of electric fields and charges within the cylinder.

4. What are some real-world applications of grounded conducting cylinders?

Grounded conducting cylinders are commonly used in electrical systems, such as power transmission lines, to provide a safe path for excess electrical charges. They are also used in antennas, capacitors, and other electronic devices.

5. Are there any limitations to the use of the Laplace equation in studying grounded conducting cylinders?

While the Laplace equation is a useful tool in understanding the behavior of grounded conducting cylinders, it does have limitations. It assumes that the cylinder is perfectly conductive and has a uniform charge distribution, which may not always be the case in real-world scenarios.