Ideal Gase Rigid Container Experiment

In summary, the conversation discusses a non-insulated glass container with gas inside and the process that occurs when a small amount of gas is released. The process is not isochoric, adiabatic, or isothermal and the answer depends on various factors such as density, temperature, and Reynolds number. It is not possible to reduce the problem to a set of equations in global parameters. The addition of thermal insulation does not change the equation for work done.
DabaDuBa
Let's assume that we have a non insulated glass container where there is any gas inside.

If the beginning pressure is equal to the atmospheric pressure and then the gas is pressurized at ,say, 3 Bar . Then what kind of process would occur if we let a small amount of gas escape over a very short period of time ?

Please let me know if my thinking is correct :

When the container is opened then clearly work is done ( i.e if we put a light object on the opening,it would move by a certain distance).Therefore the process could be anything but isochoric,right ?

Pressure is also not constant because it becomes smaller by an amount,say, dP.

So the process could either be adiabatic or isothermal,correct ?

dU + dW = dQ so the work done is equal to dP*dV , but we said that the volume is constant so this is where i become confused . And don't forget that the container is not thermally insulated.
~

Thanks in advance for your help

Physics news on Phys.org
I think this system as you have described it is neither isochoric, adiabatic, nor isothermal.

There is certainly work done, the gas expands, but I think you're pushing the limits of the definition of a global thermodynamic equilibrium. Without further constraints or assumptions (eg. the container is insulated, and the gas expands into a vacuum, the gas is ideal) I think your question is so general the answer probably depends on Navier-Stokes equations rather than thermodynamics. What is the density of the gas that it expands into? What are the temperatures? What is the Reylonds number? Surely all these things affect what happens.

I might be wrong but IMO there is no "process" that describes what you've asked which allows the problem to be reduced to a set of equations in global parameters (that are uniform over space).

Thank you very much for your answer, although i have to say it wasn't what i expected, which is not your fault . It just seems to complicated.

Would anything change if we said that the container is thermally insulated ?

DabaDuBa said:
the work done is equal to dP*dV
No, it's dPV = PdV + VdP.

!

Yes, your thinking is correct. When the container is opened and a small amount of gas escapes, work is done on the surroundings. This work can be calculated using the equation dW = PdV, where P is the pressure and dV is the change in volume. In this case, since the volume remains constant, no work is done and the process is isochoric (constant volume).

As for the temperature, it will depend on the specific conditions of the experiment. If the gas is allowed to expand without any heat transfer, then the process will be adiabatic (no heat exchange). However, if there is heat transfer between the gas and the surroundings, then the process will be isothermal (constant temperature).

In summary, the process that occurs when a small amount of gas escapes from a pressurized container is isochoric (constant volume) and can be either adiabatic or isothermal depending on the heat transfer. The pressure will decrease by an amount dP, but the temperature may or may not change depending on the conditions.

1. What is the purpose of an Ideal Gas Rigid Container Experiment?

The purpose of an Ideal Gas Rigid Container Experiment is to study the behavior of gases under controlled conditions. This experiment helps to understand the relationship between pressure, volume, temperature, and amount of gas in a closed system. It also helps to verify the ideal gas law, which describes the behavior of ideal gases.

2. How is an Ideal Gas Rigid Container Experiment performed?

In an Ideal Gas Rigid Container Experiment, a gas is placed in a sealed container with a fixed volume. The pressure, temperature, and amount of gas are measured and recorded. The pressure is then increased or decreased by manipulating the container, and the corresponding changes in volume and temperature are observed and recorded. This process is repeated at different pressure values to collect data and analyze the behavior of the gas.

3. What is the ideal gas law and how does it relate to the experiment?

The ideal gas law, also known as the general gas equation, states that the product of pressure and volume is directly proportional to the product of amount of gas and temperature, when other factors such as mass and type of gas are constant. This law is represented by the equation PV = nRT, where P is pressure, V is volume, n is amount of gas, R is the gas constant, and T is temperature. In the Ideal Gas Rigid Container Experiment, the ideal gas law is used to predict and analyze the behavior of gases under different conditions.

4. What are the limitations of the Ideal Gas Rigid Container Experiment?

The Ideal Gas Rigid Container Experiment assumes that the gas particles have negligible volume and do not interact with each other. This is not true for all gases, especially at high pressures. The experiment also does not take into account the effects of intermolecular forces and the non-ideal behavior of real gases. Additionally, the experiment may not accurately represent the behavior of gases at extreme conditions such as very low temperatures or high pressures.

5. What are the practical applications of the Ideal Gas Rigid Container Experiment?

The Ideal Gas Rigid Container Experiment has many practical applications, such as in the design and operation of gas turbines, engines, and other industrial processes that involve gases. It is also used in the development of gas laws and equations, and in the study of thermodynamics. Additionally, the experiment is used in the production and testing of gas-filled products such as aerosols and pressurized containers.