Why Do We Calculate ΔU as U2 - U1 and ΔKE as KE2 - KE1 in Physics?

• Thread starter ehabmozart
  • Start date
In summary: This is consistent with the equation ΔE = ΔKE + ΔU = 0, where ΔE is the change in total mechanical energy. In summary, the difference in gravitational potential energy is given by U2 - U1, and for the same system, the change in kinetic energy is given by KE2 - KE1. This is consistent with the conservation of total mechanical energy.
ehabmozart
Why is it the difference in gravitational potential energy is given by U grav 1 - U grav 2 whereas for the same system, delta KE is given by k2 - k1?

Kindly Clarify! Thanks a LOT!

Physics news on Phys.org
You're probably thinking of a situation where the total mechanical energy is conserved, thus:
ΔE = ΔKE + ΔU = 0

Therefore: ΔU = - ΔKE

I know that.. I meant about the intuition ... WHy is it U 1 - U2 and not the opposite

Are you talking about this in the context of mechanics relating to work?

ehabmozart said:
I know that.. I meant about the intuition ... WHy is it U 1 - U2 and not the opposite
I'm not sure I understand the issue. One goes up while the other goes down.

Just a note about what Δ means: When going from 1 to 2, ΔU = U2-U1 and ΔKE = KE2 - KE1

I still don't get the point!

ehabmozart said:
I still don't get the point!
How about giving a specific example that illustrates your question.

I think the simplest case is to look at work due to gravity:
When, let's say you throw in a rock upwards, we know conceptually that the work done is negative since the weight is directed downwards and the displacement is upwards, also, the gravitational potential energy is given by U = mgh (m = mass, g = acceleration due to gravity, h=height (relative to some reference)). The equation W=U1-U2 is consistent with this, when we throw a rock upwards, U2>U1 and hence W<0 (negative), in the other case when we drop a rock, U2<U1 and hence W>0 (positive). Thus the equation is consistent with our idea of work.

I think, this would help if you want a more intuitive approach on this.

ehabmozart said:
Why is it the difference in gravitational potential energy is given by U grav 1 - U grav 2

This is incorrect. By definition, ΔU = U2 - U1. "Δ" means "final minus initial".

For an object falling freely under the influence of gravity, U2 < U1 because h2 < h1, therefore ΔU is negative. On the other hand, KE2 > KE1 because v increases as the object falls, therefore ΔKE is positive.

1. What is the difference between potential energy and kinetic energy?

Potential energy is the energy an object possesses due to its position or configuration, while kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. In simpler terms, potential energy is stored energy and kinetic energy is energy in motion.

2. How are potential energy and kinetic energy related?

Potential and kinetic energy are different forms of energy that can be converted into each other. For example, when an object falls, its potential energy decreases as it gets closer to the ground and its kinetic energy increases as it gains speed.

3. What factors affect an object's potential energy and kinetic energy?

An object's potential energy is affected by its position or height above the ground, as well as its mass and the strength of the force acting on it. An object's kinetic energy is affected by its mass and velocity.

4. How is potential energy and kinetic energy used in everyday life?

Potential and kinetic energy are used in many everyday activities, such as riding a bike, cooking food, and using electricity. When you ride a bike, your potential energy is converted into kinetic energy as you pedal and move forward. Cooking food involves converting potential energy in the form of heat into kinetic energy as the food cooks. And electricity is generated by converting potential energy in the form of water, wind, or fossil fuels into kinetic energy to power our homes and devices.

5. How is the conservation of energy related to potential and kinetic energy?

The law of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another. This means that the total amount of potential and kinetic energy in a system will remain constant, even as it is converted back and forth between the two forms. Therefore, potential and kinetic energy play a crucial role in the conservation of energy.