Solving a Resistance Question Problem: Nichrome Heating Element

• Thread starter ToxicBug
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Resistance
This can be calculated using the formula R = rho * (1 + alpha * (T - T0)), where R is the resistance, rho is the resistivity, alpha is the temperature coefficient of resistance, T is the final temperature, and T0 is the initial temperature. In summary, the final temperature of the heating element is 313°C.
ToxicBug
Problem:

A toaster with a Nichrome heating element has a resistance of 80.0ohms at 20.0 degrees Celsius. At the instant it is turned on, the current is 1.50 A. When the heating element reaches its final temperature, the current is 1.30 A. What is the final temperature of the heating element?

Now the "rho" and "alpha" values I've found for Nichrome are:

"rho" 100*10^-8
"alpha" 0.0004

My answer does not make sence, since I've found -313C... do I have to take the absolute value of the temperature I find, or did I mess something up?

Physics news on Phys.org
Solution:You did not mess anything up. The final temperature of the heating element is 313°C (absolute value). This is because the resistance of a Nichrome wire is temperature dependent, meaning that as the temperature increases, the resistance also increases. So, when the current decreased from 1.50 A to 1.30 A, the resistance increased and the temperature increased accordingly.

It is possible that you may have made a mistake in your calculations or used incorrect values for the constants. It is always a good idea to double check your work and ensure that you are using the correct units for all the values. It is also important to note that the final temperature of the heating element may not be exactly at -313C, as it depends on factors such as the rate of heat transfer and the specific properties of the toaster. If you are unsure about your answer, it may be helpful to consult with a teacher or tutor for further clarification.

1. How do I calculate the resistance of a Nichrome heating element?

To calculate the resistance of a Nichrome heating element, you will need to know the length, cross-sectional area, and resistivity of the material. The formula for resistance is R = (p * L) / A, where R is the resistance, p is the resistivity, L is the length, and A is the cross-sectional area. You can find the resistivity of Nichrome in a materials handbook or by conducting experiments.

2. What factors affect the resistance of a Nichrome heating element?

The resistance of a Nichrome heating element is affected by its length, cross-sectional area, and temperature. As the length or temperature of the element increases, the resistance will also increase. Conversely, a larger cross-sectional area will result in a lower resistance.

3. How do I interpret the resistance value of a Nichrome heating element?

The resistance of a Nichrome heating element is typically measured in ohms (Ω). The higher the resistance, the more difficult it is for electric current to pass through the element. This can be useful in controlling the temperature of the heating element.

4. How do I troubleshoot a resistance problem with a Nichrome heating element?

If you are experiencing issues with your Nichrome heating element, first check for any breaks or damage in the element itself. If there are no visible issues, you can use a multimeter to measure the resistance of the element and compare it to the expected value. If the resistance is significantly different, there may be a problem with the element or its connection to the circuit.

5. Can I change the resistance of a Nichrome heating element?

Yes, the resistance of a Nichrome heating element can be changed by altering its length, cross-sectional area, or temperature. Additionally, adding or removing coils of Nichrome wire can also change the resistance. However, it is important to note that any changes to the resistance will also affect the power and temperature output of the heating element.