Can a Variable Resistor Control Current in a Welding Circuit?

In summary, the conversation is about seeking opinions on a circuit and various alternatives for controlling an AC welder. The speaker is wondering if a saturable core reactor or a variable resistor could be used for current control. Rick A suggests using a magnetic amplifier approach and provides a reference for making one. The current rating of the semiconductors and the need for proper heat sinking is also mentioned. Skeptic2 expresses interest and clarifies that the SCR's in the diagram are rated at 90a and they don't exceed 60a. They also mention the difficulty of finding magnetic amplifiers due to the prevalence of solid state circuitry in modern welders.
Ricka
I wonder if I can get some opinions on this circuit before I go looking for the parts. It seems simple enough even I can build it. Alternatively, does anyone have any dope on making a saturale core reactor (magnetic amplifier) to control an AC welder? All I can find on the web is theory. As a further alternative, I've seen reference to putting a resistor in the ground lead to reduce current; would it be feasible to use a variable resistor for current control? Thank you.

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll127/Mary1218_photos/SAVE-1-1.jpg

Rick A

Attachments

• SAVE-1-1.jpg
    SAVE-1-1.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 466
Engineering news on Phys.org
You don't say how much current your welder draws nor the current rating of the SCRs or lamp dimmer. You must remember that the current rating of semiconductors drops the warmer they get. This means their current rating must be much higher than you think you'll need and they should be well heat sinked.

For high currents I strongly favor the magnetic amplifier approach. Here is a link to one reference for making a magnetic amplifier.

http://sparkbangbuzz.com/mag-amp/mag-amp.htm

Skeptic2: Thank you for your interest. The SCR's in the diagram are rated at 90a and I don't exceed about 60a (I only need this current control for TIG welding on thin stuff) and on a low duty cycle, so I would't think I'd overheat them. But assuming I stay within the design limits of the circuit, does it look workable to you?

I'd found that link before, and, while it demonstrates the principle, doesn't tell me much about scaling it up to the amperage I need. A lot of welders used to use mag amps and I'd happily use one if I could find it, but, like everything else, they've moved on to solid state circuitry.

Rick A

1. What is a welder current controller?

A welder current controller is a device that regulates the amount of electrical current flowing through a welding machine. It ensures a consistent and safe level of current for the welding process.

2. How does a welder current controller work?

Welder current controllers work by using sensors and feedback mechanisms to measure and adjust the electrical current. They can also have manual controls for the user to adjust the current as needed.

3. What are the benefits of using a welder current controller?

Using a welder current controller can improve the quality and consistency of welds, reduce the risk of electrical shock, and extend the lifespan of the welding machine.

4. Are there different types of welder current controllers?

Yes, there are different types of welder current controllers, including analog controllers, digital controllers, and pulse controllers. Each type has its own unique features and benefits.

5. How do I choose the right welder current controller for my needs?

To choose the right welder current controller, consider the type of welding you will be doing, the materials you will be working with, and the desired level of control and precision. It is also important to ensure that the controller is compatible with your welding machine.