PF in Google: What Signifies Quality for Intelligent Spiders?

• Thread starter Andre
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around the invention of a new word, "defelinated", and its impact on Google rankings and traffic. The participants also discuss the concept of "quality" in the eyes of Google and the potential for generating more news traffic through the use of new words. One participant expresses frustration with the use of trendy words and phrases, while another defends the use of "kerfuffle" as a legitimate word. The conversation ends with a suggestion to revive the discussion in the main General Discussion forum for better visibility.
Andre
I thought I should give some feedback about what I observed with a new word on PF in google.

Somehow I (thought I) "invented" a new word:

Andre said:
:frown: I'm defelinated

Later I thought it might be interesting to see what google would do with that. The first google, some hours later gave five hits, however without mine. The next morning it was the first hit in google increasing the total to six.

Currently it ranks third. The first two come from a blog from 2007 that even Alexa doesn't quantify rank <100,000.

But obviously the ranking in Google seems to be news value first and after that, eventually according to their quality judgement. Maybe it could help if we can determine what signifies quality for the intelligent spiders of Google panda.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Panda plowed through the web landscape. I lost 75% traffic on one of my sites. Generally speaking forums (and I don't mean PF in particular, but other forums as well) were not affected that much, although the data I know suggest that the traffic from Google - that was growing with the number of threads before - now keeps on a constant level. But the sample I have is too low for any serious analysis.

Also note that comparing google results is tricky, as they are targeted geographically (so you will see different results from different countries), they can depend on your search history, google datacenters are never in a perfect synchronization and traffic to them is directed depending on the load, so you can see results from different datasets each time you search for something.

And the discussion on what is "quality" in the eyes of google is the never ending one, as it is basis of every SEO. Truth is, nobody knows. IMHO even google engineers don't know exactly. The monster is on the loose, we should gather with torches and pitchforks.

Thanks,

Anyway, repeating the search for defelinated an hour or so ago, the OP turned up already but again, on the third position right away. It was not original anymore and no more news.

So maybe we start a thread in GD, in which we invent new words, to generate more news traffic from google.

Andre said:
So maybe we start a thread in GD, in which we invent new words, to generate more news traffic from google.

Only if people start using those new words :)

Sure but somebody has to set trends and if it's new it will pick up other words, when the thread grows.

Decanineted is already the only hit in google.

I think the Alexa results warrant another test:

Andre said:
Notice that this thread was active from 19-21 April

Here is the Alexa score:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/22026080/Alexa-21-apr.jpg [Broken]

Of course the statistical robustness of this is nil, there are many more bumps seemingly at random, but it would be interesting to see if we revive the thread what would happen, and it would be nice if it could be moved back to the main GD where the google news bots would pick it up earlier.

I'll think of more new words.

Last edited by a moderator:
Greg Bernhardt said:
Only if people start using those new words :)
I have a lot of trouble (not to mention revulsion) when people start throwing around supposed words and phrases. Kerfuffle really ticks me off, as do nip-slips, side-boobs, wardrobe malfunctions, baby-bumps, and others. It is hard to see how internet access providers could clamp down on this crap, but it would would be wonderful, IMO.

turbo said:
I have a lot of trouble (not to mention revulsion) when people start throwing around supposed words and phrases. Kerfuffle really ticks me off, as do nip-slips, side-boobs, wardrobe malfunctions, baby-bumps, and others. It is hard to see how internet access providers could clamp down on this crap, but it would would be wonderful, IMO.

I'm with you on the rest of those atrocities, but the Oxford English Dictionary says that "kerfuffle" dates back to the early 19th century. I think it's old enough to be accepted into polite society.

1. What is "PF" in Google?

"PF" in Google stands for "PageRank Factor". It is a measure of the importance and relevance of a webpage based on the quality and quantity of incoming links from other webpages.

2. What is the significance of quality for intelligent spiders?

Quality is important for intelligent spiders, also known as web crawlers, because it helps them determine the relevance and usefulness of a webpage. This allows them to provide more accurate search results for users.

3. How does Google determine quality for intelligent spiders?

Google uses a variety of factors to determine quality for intelligent spiders, including the number and quality of incoming links, the relevance of the content on the webpage, and the overall user experience.

4. Can quality be improved for intelligent spiders?

Yes, quality can be improved for intelligent spiders through various techniques such as creating high-quality and relevant content, optimizing website design for better user experience, and building a strong network of incoming links from reputable sources.

5. Why is quality important for websites in terms of PF in Google?

Quality is important for websites in terms of PF in Google because it directly affects their PageRank, which in turn affects their visibility and ranking in search engine results. The higher the quality of a webpage, the more likely it is to have a higher PageRank and appear higher in search results.