Molecules under high electric field

In summary, the conversation is discussing the prediction of the behavior of an organic molecule under an electric field and the search for a program or software that can compute such a field. It is noted that any constant electric field can lead to autoionization, but the exact threshold cannot be defined. The individual is interested in the bond strength and behavior of the molecule under various stressors before breaking. Suggestions for approximation methods are provided.
pierebean
Hello fellow physics lovers,

I wish to predict the behaviour of a organic molecule under an electric field (High Voltage). I wish to know how much E-field can this molecules withstand before being fragmented.

Can anyone point toward a freeware than might compute such a field?

It is important to consider that the molecule will be fragmented by E-field and not by accelerated electron collisions (like in Mass Spectrometer for instance).

Thank you for your suggestions.

Physics news on Phys.org
Strictly speaking, any constant electric field will lead to autoionization, however, the lifetimes can be very long as the electrons have to travel through a wide barrier at low field intensities. So the autoionization rate will increase exponentially with the field strength and you cannot define a well-defined threshold.

Thank you for pointing this out. Indeed, many phenomena in physics are usually not discrete (currently I'm only thinking of phase transition which almost is). However, if this auto ionization phenomenon is described by a exponential, one might define a semi-threshold (actually an order of magnitude is enough for my application) at which the probability of ionization is say greater that 90%.

In my application, I have anchored carbon chains on a substrate which is under a high electric field.

I want to have some idea of the E-field that might break the bound of the carbon chain. But I am also interested at their behaviour under any arbitrary field (stress, change of structure ect..) before breaking out.

Does such a program/software exist to perform this study?

Last edited:

1. What is a molecule under high electric field?

A molecule under high electric field is a molecule that is exposed to a strong electric field, typically in the range of millions of volts per meter. This can cause changes in the molecule's structure and behavior, leading to interesting physical and chemical phenomena.

2. How does a high electric field affect a molecule?

A high electric field can cause a molecule to undergo a process called dielectric breakdown, where the strong electric field causes the molecule's bonds to break and its electrons to be stripped away. This can lead to changes in the molecule's shape, polarity, and reactivity.

3. What are some applications of studying molecules under high electric field?

Studying molecules under high electric field can have various applications, such as in the development of new materials for electronics and energy storage, understanding atmospheric phenomena like lightning and thunder, and studying the effects of high voltage on biological systems.

4. How are molecules under high electric field studied?

Molecules under high electric field can be studied through experiments using specialized equipment such as high voltage sources, capacitors, and electrodes. The behavior of the molecules can also be simulated using computational methods.

5. What are the potential risks of working with molecules under high electric field?

Working with molecules under high electric field can be dangerous as it involves dealing with high voltages and currents. This can lead to electric shocks, fires, and explosions. Proper safety precautions, such as using appropriate protective equipment and following established protocols, must be taken to minimize risks.