How Can I Design a Tokamak to Ignite Ordinary Air and Control Plasma Diameter?

In summary: Roger is looking to create his own Tokamak to ignite air and control the plasma's poloidal diameter. He doesn't know how to reach low pressure or what kind of equipment he will need, but he has an idea for an equipment piece that may help him. He plans to use a spare part for a lamp with a magnifying lens and drill two holes into it to create electrodes. He will then connect the electrodes in series and lower the air pressure by using a sucking machine.
rogerk8
Hi!

I wish to know how to design a Tokamak of my own.

This Tokamak will of course be very tiny but my intention is to ignite ordinary air and control the plasma's poloidal diameter by poloidal coils placed along the torous.

I wish to do two things with my Tokamak:

1) Ignite ordinary air of suitable pressure (which seem to give a pinkish glow)
2) Be able to adjust the poloidal diameter of the plasma by adjusting toroidal magnetic flux density

I have no clue neither of what (low) pressure is needed nor how to reach it. But I seem to have learned that it needs to be very low.

My thought is to use a toroidal gas disharge tube which is available as spare parts for certain lamps with magnifying lenses built into them.

Drilling two holes into the tube may enable two electrodes to be inserted to ignite the air.

While the electric field intensity probably is the reason for ignition the electrodes should be placed close to each other.

This tube may or may not be avacuated of the luminant couting inside by ordinary acid(?)

When that is done, a nipple may be placed into the hole and thus sealing it.

Putting the nipple to a sucking machine, air pressure may be decreased considerably.

Putting some 10 poloidal coils around the torous and connecting them in series would then give me the possibillity to control the poloidal diameter of the plasma once it has ignited.

Would be quite fun to ignite the plasma, regulate its brightness by the electrical current and the poloidal diameter by the magnetic flux.

Is something like this feasable?

Roger
PS
I love MS Paint but this program is hopeless when it comes to 3D...

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Is something like this feasable?
No. It is far off from any realistic way to get a plasma volume.

You clearly do not have the knowledge to do this, or even to do it in a safe way (high voltage, high temperatures, plasma, ...). We won't help you to hurt yourself.
Devices for spark gaps are available as commercial products, you can have a look at them.

1. What is a tokamak and how does it work?

A tokamak is a device used to create controlled nuclear fusion reactions. It works by using strong magnetic fields to confine and heat plasma (a state of matter where atoms are stripped of their electrons) to extremely high temperatures, causing the atoms to fuse together and release energy.

2. What are some important design considerations for a tokamak?

One important consideration is the shape and size of the tokamak, as this affects the stability and efficiency of the plasma. Another consideration is the materials used to build the tokamak, as they must be able to withstand high temperatures and radiation. The design must also take into account the cooling system needed to remove heat from the plasma and the magnetic coils, as well as the power supply and control systems.

3. What are the advantages and disadvantages of a tokamak compared to other fusion reactor designs?

One advantage of a tokamak is its relative simplicity and ability to achieve high plasma temperatures. However, it also requires a large amount of energy to operate and has not yet reached sustained fusion reactions. Other designs, such as laser or magnetic confinement fusion, have their own advantages and disadvantages as well.

4. How is a tokamak designed to handle the extreme temperatures and radiation of a fusion reaction?

The materials used in a tokamak must be carefully chosen to withstand the high temperatures and radiation. This often involves using materials like tungsten, which has a high melting point and can withstand high levels of radiation. Additionally, the tokamak is designed with a cooling system to remove excess heat, and the magnetic fields help to contain the radiation and prevent it from escaping.

5. What are the current challenges and future developments in tokamak design?

One of the biggest challenges in tokamak design is achieving sustained fusion reactions, where the amount of energy produced outweighs the amount of energy needed to maintain the reaction. Researchers are also working on improving the efficiency and stability of tokamaks, as well as finding more advanced materials that can withstand the extreme conditions. In the future, advancements in technology and materials may lead to more efficient and reliable tokamak designs for fusion energy production.