Can Transformers Create a 90 Degree Phase Shift?

In summary, it is possible to create a 90 degree phase shift with a transformer by using reactive impedances or a Scott-T transformer. Another way is by creating a resonant tank circuit with a specific resonant frequency in both the primary and secondary windings of the transformer. The closer the frequency match, the closer to 90 degrees the phase shift will be.
eng90
I am learning about transformers and from everything I've read I can see how its possible to create a 180 degree phase shift by winding the primary and the secondary in opposite directions. What I wanted to know was if it's possible to make a 90 degree phase shift with a transformer.

Physics news on Phys.org
eng90 said:
I am learning about transformers and from everything I've read I can see how its possible to create a 180 degree phase shift by winding the primary and the secondary in opposite directions. What I wanted to know was if it's possible to make a 90 degree phase shift with a transformer.

Welcome to the PF.

Not really. With a basic transformer you get either in-phase or opposite-phase in the transformation from primary to secondary.

That said, you can do some things with reactive impedances to give other phase shifts at selected frequencies, but you can do that without the transformer as well.

Another typical shift is that 30 degrees that occurs with 3-phase transformers when the primary is Y-connected and the secondary is delta-connected.

Likes 1 person
This isn't quite what you're referring to, but you may be interested in this anyway...

Look up Scott-T transformers to see how standard 3-phase power (where each of 3 AC waveforms lags another by 120 degrees) can be transformed into 2-phase power consisting of 2 AC waveforms that are separated by 90 degees.

Here's one site:
http://electricalnotes.wordpress.com/2012/05/06/scott-t-connection-of-transformer/

Thanks, I couldn't see how it was possible to get anything other than a 180 degree phase shift.

I'll definitely look into those Scott-T transformers.

eng90 said:
Thanks, I couldn't see how it was possible to get anything other than a 180 degree phase shift.

I'll definitely look into those Scott-T transformers.
There is a way to create your required 90 degree phase shift; and that is to first connect a capacitor in parallel with the primary input winding of the transformer. This will create a resonant tank circuit with a specific resonant frequency. Now connect a second capacitor (or capacitors) in parallel to the secondary transformer output winding. This creates a second resonant tank circuit. The second capacitor (or capacitors) has to be sized so that the second resonant frequency matches the first resonant frequency. The closer the frequency match, the closer to 90 degrees the resultant phase shift will be.

What is "Transformers Phase Shift"?

"Transformers Phase Shift" is a term used to describe the process of transforming a material or object from one state to another, often involving changes in physical or chemical properties.

How does "Transformers Phase Shift" occur?

"Transformers Phase Shift" can occur through various methods such as heating, cooling, pressure change, or chemical reactions. These processes can cause molecules to rearrange and change the structure and properties of the material.

What are the applications of "Transformers Phase Shift"?

"Transformers Phase Shift" has many practical applications in different industries, such as in metallurgy, pharmaceuticals, and materials engineering. It is used to create new materials with specific properties, improve the performance of existing materials, and alter the physical state of substances for various purposes.

What factors affect "Transformers Phase Shift"?

The factors that influence "Transformers Phase Shift" include temperature, pressure, chemical composition, and the presence of impurities or catalysts. These factors can determine the type and extent of phase transformation that occurs.

How is "Transformers Phase Shift" studied and measured?

Scientists use various techniques such as X-ray diffraction, thermal analysis, and microscopy to study and measure "Transformers Phase Shift". These methods allow for the observation and analysis of changes in the structure and properties of materials during phase transformation.